Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #1 
HatsuneMiku

How can I safely lower the temperature in my tank?

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure I've put this question in the right section but I apologize ahead of time if I've done so.

I have 3 bettas. Each in their own 5gal tanks. I got my first blue betta about 3 months ago in the spring-ish time and then got addicted. 2 months after that I rescued a white/red one and a few weeks ago I rescued a iridescent white one that seems to change color depending on the time and light. I have my blue one and my red/white one downstairs in the living room where it's cooler, and 1 in my room where it can get pretty hot during the day.

Now, I know bettas need heaters to stay warm and none of my betta tanks have a heater. Also I don't use florescent light for them, they get enough natural light as it is. (before anyone starts tripping out i can explain)

I've monitored the temperature even overnight and during the spring time. Here in so cali room temperatures are about 75-80 deg F. when I first had them the temperature never got lower then 76 at night time and it would rise up to 78 during the day without a heater. so that was fine and all my betta's were happy.

Now, it's summer. even when i run the a/c my 2 betta's downstairs in the living room have a temperature of 78 at night and goes up to about 82 during the day. My main concern is the betta in my room. His tank is 88 at night, and during the day it's 92. and on very hot days when it's over 100 deg's outside his tank has went up to 96 before and that freaked me out so i did a water change with cold water and he seemed to love that cus he made a huge bubble nest the next day.

So, my worrie is. Can the water ever get too hot and kill the betta? and how can I fix it so that i can cool off the water without having to do the drastic cold water exchange?

Thanks in advance for ur advice ^_^
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure I've put this question in the right section but I apologize ahead of time if I've done so.

I have 3 bettas. Each in their own 5gal tanks. I got my first blue betta about 3 months ago in the spring-ish time and then got addicted. 2 months after that I rescued a white/red one and a few weeks ago I rescued a iridescent white one that seems to change color depending on the time and light. I have my blue one and my red/white one downstairs in the living room where it's cooler, and 1 in my room where it can get pretty hot during the day.

Now, I know bettas need heaters to stay warm and none of my betta tanks have a heater. Also I don't use florescent light for them, they get enough natural light as it is. (before anyone starts tripping out i can explain)

About light? Bettas dont need light, lol. Fluorescent bulbs grow plants, which is why we usually recommend those over incandescent.

I've monitored the temperature even overnight and during the spring time. Here in so cali room temperatures are about 75-80 deg F. when I first had them the temperature never got lower then 76 at night time and it would rise up to 78 during the day without a heater. so that was fine and all my betta's were happy.

Now, it's summer. even when i run the a/c my 2 betta's downstairs in the living room have a temperature of 78 at night and goes up to about 82 during the day. My main concern is the betta in my room. His tank is 88 at night, and during the day it's 92. and on very hot days when it's over 100 deg's outside his tank has went up to 96 before and that freaked me out so i did a water change with cold water and he seemed to love that cus he made a huge bubble nest the next day.

So, my worrie is. Can the water ever get too hot and kill the betta? and how can I fix it so that i can cool off the water without having to do the drastic cold water exchange?

Thanks in advance for ur advice ^_^

Its a bit hot. To cool off, take a fan and set it on a low setting and point at the tank, with the lid cracked open.

Or, add a baggie of COOL, not cold, water to the tank, and allow it to float. Replace every 30minutes.

You dont want the temp to drop too fast. 1'F an hour is best, but 1-3 is ok.

I use the fan method myself and find I can do it all day, which is great. Lowest works best, as it wont cool too fast or create too many waves.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

^_^ thanks again .. i'm going to try the fan thing when i'm not home

and the baggy idea is great. i never would have thought of doing that. i could use one of those hanging containers instead of a baggy right? it would work just the same?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Hanging containers? Hmm?

I say baggie is best. When you're done, you can just chuck the water.

As for the fan thing, try it a few times while youre home first. Its unwise to do something youve never done before and then leave, just in case something goes wrong! D:

Monitor how fast it cools the water...once you find a good distance away that wont cool it too fast, then you can leave it :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

the hanging container i have is this thing

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3523859

it hangs off the inside or outside of the tank .. i use it to transfer fish .. or when i take a new betta home and it's in their yuck cup .. i'll put him in the transfer container with water from one of my old betta's tank .. till his home's ready ..

cus usually i don't really plan to get a new betta to pre-set up a tank .. it's just when i see them sad at the store .. and i have to save him .. so i'll buy him take him home .. put him in the transfer container .. hang it inside my other betta tank so it's warm .. while i set up his new home

i just worrie that i have no way of keeping a plastic bag afloat and my betta might try to bite at it
Old 07-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #6 
SmokeNLark

Are the tanks filtered? If they are, try putting an ice cube in a baggie and place it in the filter. I've never tried it, but I have heard it suggested. I don't know if it will cool too fast, so keep an eye on it.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #7 
FalacyNine

Thanks for the post M, I was having the same concern, though not nearly as bad as you.

I am going to try the ice cube in bag in filter because I don't think fan would help in my case. Blowing warm air (since we don't have AC) would do little to cool it I suspect. I'll keep you posted if no one else does first.

Sean
FalacyNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #8 
fishman12

Mistriss, a betta won't be able to bite through the bag, though S/he will like to hang out around it if it's that warm.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

Hi guys !!

update.. I tried the fan thing for 24 hours and his temps is now 76 ^_^ .. now i have to cure his swim bladder problem T_T
Old 07-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #10 
fishman12

For swim bladder- Qt him. Premix epsom salt 1 tsp/gallon, water changes every day
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote