Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #1 
toilteanas

diagnosis help?

So many of the symptoms are parts of other diseases that I can't figure what is wrong with my betta.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Freeze-dried blood worms (he wouldn't eat anything else)

How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? At least 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just water softener

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No. I don't have a test kit.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Loss of color. Possible very faint white dust on head. Tips of fins are red, like blood.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Seems weak. Laying on bottom. Not eating.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
5 days ago i noticed the color loss. Changed the water, then noticed him laying on the bottom. 4 days ago he stopped eating.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Removed him from the tank and placed him in a small smooth bottom tupperware container with aged water. Also gave him a bit of frozen pea. He will not eat it.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I have no idea. I got him as a gift 6 months ago.

Last edited by toilteanas; 08-03-2011 at 06:10 PM.
toilteanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta is not well....it looks like he may be having water quality issues.....

You need to get some dechlorinator and bypass the water softener and just use tap water with dechlorinator....the water softeners only change one Ion for another and is really bad for the long term health of fish and it sounds like it is catching up with him.......

Good that you have him in QT......Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated tap water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and use this water for 100% daily water changes for 10-14 day....but first you need to do small water changes to get him acclimated to the new source water....using the premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 30min for 2 hours-then start the 100% daily tomorrow......

Nutrition-if you have access to mosquito larva or other live foods offer these to stimulate his hunting/feeding instinct....he really needs a good staple diet of some type....the more varied the better....... fed in small frequent meals....once he start to feel better he should start to eat......

Once the treatment is over and he is back in his tank-I would increase his water changes....
In a 2gal unfiltered tank-twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality....

Keep us posted.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-03-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #3 
toilteanas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and sorry your Betta is not well....it looks like he may be having water quality issues.....

You need to get some dechlorinator and bypass the water softener and just use tap water with dechlorinator....the water softeners only change one Ion for another and is really bad for the long term health of fish and it sounds like it is catching up with him.......
I've been using Tetra BettaSafe - it says "Water Conditioner- Makes Tap Water Safe For Bettas".

I assumed that was softener- is that de-chlorinator?

As for the rest, I'm on it. Thank you so much...
Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by toilteanas View Post

Maintenance

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just water softener
Sorry, I may have got confused by this statement.....I took this as a water softener unit for the house not a dechlorinator product used for the fish....the dechlorinator you have is fine and the treatment should help.....keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #5 
toilteanas

So i did what you recommended- but i just did it in the tupperware for now, i'm not comfortable that he can handle the aquarium.
He seems better... livelier.

i gave him a bit of pea but he didn't seem interested. Maybe they were too old. But when i put ONE bloodworm in there, he tried to eat it, but it seemed like he couldn't catch it.

So i took that out and tried ONE flake. And the same thing happened!

So he appears to be hungry but... unable to eat??

i know this sounds dumb but, could my fish be blind?
Or maybe i'm totally reading his behavior wrong.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 AM   #6 
masshiimarro

if hes never had those foods before, it could take him a while to adjust.. maybe he just isnt used to it.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 
toilteanas

Ok so the OT appears to have worked. He's more colorful, happier, not laying at the bottom and eating again.

However, he won't eat flakes or pellets. He'll only eat bloodworms. i'm concerned that he's missing some important nutrients because he won't eat anything else. Ideas?

And, what's the best way to clean items (like rock) that go in the aquarium? i got a PH tester, so i want to make sure that i start everything off again properly.

Thanks so much for all the help! i'm so happy my Monty isn't gonna die! i thought he was gonner there for a while.