Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #1 
tlyons01

Not sure if new betta is sick or not, please read

I just got a CT home last Friday. He was very ill acting when I bought him. I have him in a 1 gallon that I have been doing 100% water changes every other day or so. He is not swimming around all the time, he sort of hangs at the surface or he randomly floats near the bottom. He would not eat when I first brought him home, no pellets at all. I bought frozen brine shrimp the day after I got him to try that and he ate that. I fast all of mine of Sundays, and then he never ate again until yesterday when I fed them frozen bloodworms. He has a next door neighbor that I have behind a sheet of paper. I have let them flare at eachother for a bit. After they flared last night, I woke up this morning and found he had built a nest and I thought all was going to be ok. He even ate a pellet for me. Since this morning, he has become less active. I have cleaned out from the bottom of his tank what looks like pieces of his gill cover. Its so hard to tell, as I know that their poo is not stringy. I am wondering if there is anyone that knows whether or not that would ever happen. At first he acted like he did not want to flare at all. i have not been able to find any inflammation on his gills, or any parasites hanging from his body. Most of the time he clamps his fins.

So bottom line is, he has clamped fins, won't eat but shows not outward signs indicating illness. Any help, opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. BTW his water is 78 degrees and I keep changing out the water so its clean.

the last pic was taken 2 days ago, he was resting his chin on the tank wall
Attached Images

tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 PM   #2 
Myates

Unsure what it could be :( Stress of moving + check his ammonia/nitrates/rites? Sometimes some just over stress during a move. Especially if moving to a bigger tank that is minimal in plants/caves.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #3 
tlyons01

He seems unhappy and it is breaking my heart. I know he is not in the best suited tank, but for now that is all we have access to. He will be going into a split 10 gallon that will hopefully be cycled in the next week... I hope he hangs on for that long. Haven't lost one yet, but he is worrying me
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote