Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

QT?

I just made this account a few hours ago and have been reading as much as I can to have a better understanding of betta fish care. I'm assuming 'QT' means quarantine tank, and from what I understand, people use them for sick fish or when they get a new plant/fish to make sure nothing is wrong with them and/or kill unwanted parasites, bacteria, etc. So I'm curious as to how I would go about setting up a QT.
When quarantining a plant, should I do the same steps as when I quarantine a fish? What should I add to the water exactly for a fish I just bought in order to make sure its healthy and doesn't have any unwanted bacteria? Or is that even something I should worry about with a fish, save for when he/she is sick? Do I need any special kind of additives for plants to make sure the plant is healthy like root tabs and/or additives that help the plant grow? Or should I wait to move it to the actual tank and then use those products for the plant? For plants, is tap water okay for them to sit in? I read that the chlorine would help kill any unwanted critters and such, but again, I wasn't sure..
Just a bit of info to get an idea on the situation, I have a 1.5 gallon tank, but I've decided to upgrade to a 2.5 so I figured the 1.5 would be a decent tank to quarantine in. I have a few decorations and fake plants, but it seems like actual living plants are better for looks AND the fish/tank environment. I'm new to plants, too, so after reading a bit about certain ones I was thinking of getting an anacharis plant, as well as a marimo ball for the tank.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

I have 3 QT tanks, two 1 gallons one 1.5 gallons.
Depending on the case, depends if I have decorations.
Such as, a brand new fish, NO rocks/gravel, this way I can monitor poop, I usually put a small fake plant in and I rap a dish towel around the tank to provide security and to keep stress down.
However, with a fish in long term QT, such as Hercules and Finn, both have SERIOUS fin damage so while their fins are growing Im keeping them in QT tanks so I can do constant 100% daily water changes. Hercules has ricks on half of his tanks and one soft plant

For a short term QT tank yu really should start of with a barebottom tank so you can monitor poops, once you are sure he/she has normal poops you can put in gravel if you want

Just remember, keep a lot of pre-conditioned water on hand (I have 5 gallons n the side solely for QT tanks)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Ah, okay. What should I look for with poop exactly? How do I know if it's good/bad?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

white stringy poo= bad
brown/black big poo= good
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

A healthy Betta poop is suppoced to be short and dark colored (about the size of a fingernail clipping and the color of wood)
You want to watch out for stringy white poop (sign of parasites) or no poop (constiation)
Old 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #6 
Draug Isilme

Thank you both, I never knew that ^.^
Old 08-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

lol, welcome :)