Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #1 
audjree

Medicines For Fin Regrowth

i'm just wondering if there are any medicines i can use to help fin regrowth.

little red has had these tears in his caudal fin since i saw him in the store last monday.
brought him home, and it's been over a week, so i was just wondering.

does it look like it could be fin rot? hmm, i hope not. :c

audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Aside from clean water, a little aquarium salt will help! Use 1 teaspoon per gallon. Try not to use the salt for more than 10 days as it can hurt their kidneys. Also, Stress Coat + could help him quite a bit. It's a special water conditioner that has aloe in it to promote fin regrowth =) He's absolutely stunning, he has really nice finnage!!

Last edited by Indyfishy; 08-03-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Looking at the picture again, it looks like he might have a little fin rot on his tail. Are the edges black on that little pieces of his tail in the big gap???
Old 08-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #4 
audjree

thank you! it doesn't look like fin rot, does it?
and yeah, he's a very handsome little guy! haha c:

EDIT/ i couldn't really tell, he does have light black streaks on his tail,
which you can't really see in the pic, so i wasn't really sure.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:33 PM   #5 
Indyfishy

I think he may have just a touch of it on his tail. Have his fins been getting worse while you've had him????
Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #6 
audjree

no, they've stayed the same. but i'm thinking maybe that tiny little piece in the gap has gotten a tiny bit shorter. how long would it take for it to become advanced fin rot? :c
Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #7 
Indyfishy

That would depend on a lot of things (the strain he has, level of care, health of the fish, etc), but since it hasn't changed too much since you've had him then he'll probably be ok. The treatment for finrot is fairly easy. You'll have to quarantine him for a few days. The cup you got him in will work fine. Is your tank heated? If it is, then float the cup in the tank to maintain proper temperature (if it won't float, you can tape it or clip it to the side with any type of clip). In a gallon jug (milk jugs work great, just make sure you rinse it first), pre-mix a solution of aquarium salt. 1 teaspoon per gallon should be enough. Also mix in the Stress Coat + if you can get that. Use that pre-treated water to change his water everyday until he gets better. Only do the salt treatment for around ten days. I doubt he'll need that long as it looks like he has a very mild case. Another thing you could add to speed up the process would be tannins from either naturally dried and crushed oak leaves or DECAF green tea (just green tea, no lemon/mint/other flavorings). Steep the leaves or the tea in the gallon jug and let the water get really dark. But these are optional, the salt is the most important thing.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #8 
audjree

alright, thank you so much. does he still have to be quarantined even if he's in a solitary tank? i can't get some aquarium salt or stress coat right away, probably in a couple days. is that an okay length of time to wait for treatment?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

The quarantining is just to make the daily 100% water changes easier on you. You don't have to QT him if you don't want to but it does make things tons easier lol! He should be fine for a couple days without it, just keep his water really clean and watch him really closely for any changes =) I hope his tail heals back to its full glory, he really is magnificent!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:55 PM   #10 
audjree

haha yeah, that's true. i will quarantine him then. thanks again so much for your help! <3