Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #1 
tabster

My poor betta :/

Hi there!

I started a fish tank for my kiddos last week. We let the tank "cycle" for 24 hours then added 5 fish. Two tropical little orange fish (platties?), two neons, and one betta. Up until yesterday, the betta flared at the other fish, they all swam around, and they all played. It was awesome!

Yesterday, our betta (Rainbow Brite) nested in one of the plants in the tank and hasn't moved since except to drift to the bottom of the tank. :/ I had the tank water tested on Monday and the fish shop said it looked awesome. Rainbow nested Wednesday and had drifted to the bottom of the tank by today.

What should I do with this fish? My kiddos love her, but after reading all the posts here, I wonder if I should have let other fish "season" the tank for awhile, then added a betta later.

Here's the questionnaire I have seen w/ answers:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees (w/ a heater)
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? aerates through the fancy filter we bought
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 smaller tropical fish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Natural Protein Formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x/ day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1x/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30% w/ vacuuming tank (first change will happen Saturday AM)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? 1/2 tsp API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? - no specific numbers from the shop, but the water tests all tested "good"

Ammonia: good
Nitrite: good
Nitrate: good
pH: good
Hardness: n/a (or at least not discussed)
Alkalinity: good

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She looks a little chubbier underneath than when I got her. Her face is also paler than when we got her. She had a lovely blue tint to her body & head with purple fins, now her face is more silvery?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, ignoring the other fish
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Wednesday AM
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? N/A
Does your fish have any history of being ill? according to the shop, no
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown

UPDATE: Now she's hiding from me, when she used to come butt the glass when I entered the room to get my attention.

I am seriously worried about this fish!
tabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #2 
BETTA DET

What condition are the other fish in?

5 fish in a brand new 10 gallon is alot. I would think it is amonia. The tank needs to cycle. This tanks time and the fish will build ammonia fast with that many. Amonia eating bacteria take a little while to show up.

I would do a 10 - 20 percent water change, ASAP but make sure you treat the water and let it stand. I like API stress coat +.

To help lessen the ammonia levels I would buy a live plant for the tank. Or you could also get a piece of driftwood form an established tank which would carry some of the amonia and nitite eating bacteria to your tank, helping your tank get a little jump on its cycle.

Last edited by BETTA DET; 08-04-2011 at 12:38 PM.
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, depressed, lethargic, not eating, sick