What size is your tank? 1gal
What temperature is your tank?80F
Does your tank have a filter?No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated?No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?HBH Betta Bites
How often do you feed your betta fish?2 pellets in the morning, 1 in evening and fasted every Saturday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?1-50%, 1-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?losing his rays, color is dulling
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?he seems to mope around the tank instead of flirting with his fins
When did you start noticing the symptoms?4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?Yes, 1tsp salt added to his bowl and water changes every day.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)?I bought him 3mo ago (about) maybe longer

I've been hoping the salt treatment would show some progress but his rays are still bent and seem to not be stopping the loss. Is there anything else I can do? I'm assuming this is happening cause of the heat in his tank which I've been trying to keep low but its hard in hot + humid weather to do this. He's still eatng though which I'm trying to stay positive about. Here are some pictures:

I wish I could get better images of the damage but he wouldn't stay still and my camera stinks.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 AM   #2 
CyerRyn

He's getting worse, not moving as much and when he idle's he starts to tip side-ways. From the lack of responses I see that no one really cares or has no idea on what more I can do.. just gets sad watching him be so unhappy.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I'm no expert but i'm thinking it may not be fin rot, he may be tail bitting. I have had several fish with both fin rot and bad ammonia burns. Clean warm water with stress coat or AQ salt for fin rot has always worked. EXCEPT I have one pain in the butt HM male that has shredded his fins from bitting and NOTHING I have done has stopped it. I have been told some bite if they are stressed, some if they are bored and some just bite cause they can. If your tank is way to warm, maybe its stressing him and he started bitting? Or maybe something else is stressing him out?

Quote:
What temperature is your tank?80F
I think that is within aceptable range for a betta though.

I wish I could be more help but all I know how to do is fix fin rot. I dont know much about other illnesses :(
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

That was my thought too...looks more like tail/fin biting and that can be really frustrating to deal with.....right now I would start making some daily 50% water only changes with 1-100% weekly to try and prevent a secondary with some premixed treatment water using aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and add some tannins-either IAL or dried oak leaf....add some tannins to the tank and tan the water a dark amber color for the 10 days of aquarium salt treatment.....

Do you have a water test kit or can you get your source water tested at a fish shop....take both your source water and some tank water and test for-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and kH/GH too if you can...to make sure nothing is wrong with the water...especially the source water...I am assuming that the source water is tap...if not tap water-what is the source water....

Nutrition-increase the feeding to 4-5 times a day in really small amounts and if you have access to mosquito larva feed them 2-3 times a day in place of the processed food....get that hunting/feeding instinct stimulated......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:06 AM   #5 
CyerRyn

This is not tail biting.. hes never bitten his tail. His fins are depleting! Their just slowly curling up and disappearing... his color has faded. He's so sad and the salt treatment is doing absolutely nothing to help him. I think I'm going to stop the salt and see what happens but I can tell you 100% that this is not a tail-biting issue. He's a crown tail and the crowns are literally curling and vanishing... his crowns are actually almost completely gone now its so horrible. :(

Source water is Tap and I've never ever had any issues with it. I do not have a tester to test it but nothing in the tap water has changed and he is the only one of my 8 fish that's having any issues at all. I can not feed him more.. he gets fat really fast.