Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 
kartman

Unhappy fungus? slime coat loss? or something worse?

This morning I noticed that my black orchid, Spartacus, has strange white "ringed" spots on his head and part of his body, kind of like he's peeling. A quick google search made me think it was fungus, but after searching the internet for hours, I can't find an image that looks *quite* like the condition he has, so I'm hoping someone here can tell me.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? around 80 with the light on
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? the light heats it about 4 degrees during the day
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? just decorations

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? betta bio-gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets, twice a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 10 days or so?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-60
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I've always used a water conditioner, but have changed brands several times because it's so hard to find stuff that isn't super duper concentrated for 10gal+ tanks. Now I'm worried that this may have contributed to his condition.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 8.0.... this has remained consistent since I set up the tank
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has strange white rings on his head and body, but they don't appear to be raised or "cottony"... sort of looks like he's peeling. His fins look fine - the spots are worst on his head, but there are one or two on his sides.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all, yet. He's still active, eats, flares his fins, blows bubble nests, etc.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I transferred him to a hospital tank and added aquarium salt and an anti-fungal tablet (very limited options for medicine at the closest pet store)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months

So far my plan is to proceed with keeping his water extremely clean, aquarium salt, anti-fungal medicine and heat. Can anyone identify what's wrong with him from these pictures? (sorry they're blurry!) If they can - should I change my plan of action? Also, can someone recommend a good brand of water conditioner if this may be part of the problem?

Attached Images

kartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #2 
masshiimarro

hmm... hole in head disease maybe? the poor kid..

copied a bit about it from darkmoon's sticky and here it is:
Hole in the Head Disease
•Symptoms: lesions (holes) will appear around the head area, Lethargy, Loss of appetite
•Treatment: HITH can be treated conservatively with Aquarium salt. Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration and remember not to continue this for more than 10 days. Keep the temperature between 80-82*F and perform daily 100% water changes. If conservative treatment fails then use API General Cure OR Jungle’s Parasite Clear fizz tablets.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote