Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #1 
harrow

Cory Catfish need help diagnose!

I have 3 Cory Catfish, 4 guppies 3 neon tetra and 1 betta in my 10 gallon tank.
one of my cory catfish is the smallest of the cory and he doesnt seem to school as much as the other two. I recently found out that he has white spots on his side, top fin and back fin. He does seem happy and swims around but not as much as the others. He also seems really slim. I have already treated the tank 3 days ago with api fungus cure for my neon tetra with cotton mouth which did not make it.

Parameters
temp 76
ph 6-6.5
ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 45ppm

dont know the alkalinity or hardness
heres a detail picture of my cory catfish
harrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #2 
Shaon

Hmm, I may not be able to help you out too much with a diagnosis but I do find your nitrates a bit high. 45 ppm is a lot of a 10G tank. Do water changes and try to keep it low.
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #3 
harrow

oops idk why i typed 45, doing something else and i guess i just type in that number i meant 20-25 but isnt that still decently high
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #4 
Shaon

Lol yea that makes a pretty big difference. 20-25 is still a bit high but I don't think that it's because of it that your cory is having issues. I would suggest you still do a water change to get it down a bit.

As for the spots on your Cory, I'm sure other members can accurately point out what may be the cause of it. But yea, do a water change and see how it goes.
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #5 
harrow

They dont seem to be fungus as they are not fuzzy, could it be ich but wouldnt he be rubbing on rocks and other deco in the tank.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

It could be ick...It also looks like the little guy has a bit of finrot..that or one of the other fish are picking on him maybe? The tank is a bit overstocked though...I would do 2 water changes weekly on it. How often are you preforming water changes and what percentage?
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #7 
harrow

He doesnt have fin rot it, I was testing which of my bettas were compatible and one of them nipped him so i quickly took him out. I do quite a bit of water changes to keep my nitrite low so i would roughly say at least twice a week.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #8 
harrow

update, he has been in a quarantine tank for about 1 or 2 days and he doesn't seem to be showing any signs of getting worse with the white specs. I still dont know whats wrong with him and he is still the same shy and hardly moving unlike his other catfish in my community 10 gallon.