Betta Fish Forum banner

Kitty Litter Substrate?

605 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  regalesse 
#1 · (Edited)
I was looking for large planted tanks on youtube when I stumbled across this. Kitter litter substrate? o.o In the description it says, " It cost under $7 for 50 pounds of nutrient filled plant friendly substrate." Thats really cheap considering how much kitty litter, or substrate comes with it. However, I don't know how reliable this is. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Bump

#4 ·
You don't want to rinse the kitty litter first...trust me....it won't work the way you think and the dust is just clay anyway.....
In the tank I used kitty litter-I use it at a 25% kitty litter and 75% dirt.....the one I did 100% kitty litter was a mess anytime you planted or pulled a plant...the kitty litter would make a little cloud and as it settled it settled all over the plants and on the wall....a big mess.....lol.....by mixing it with soil it worked much better.....also remember with the clay kitty litter...its not all created equal......it is mined in different location and can have different mineral contents....

I would not recommend its use- especially if it is your first natural planted tank attempt........

#5 ·
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to steer clear of the kitty litter than, it sounds stressful >.<

#6 ·
it clouds for weeks before clearing and that is after a thorough rinsing. if you decide you want something like that, look into schultz brand aquasoil. it is around 8 bucks for a bag that is 10 lbs 2 bags did my 55gal and after a thorough wash, it only clouded for two hours before i could put my fish in and I have not regretted it in the two years since i have been using it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.