Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #1 
FLBettaLovers

How much and how often to feed Phineas?

Hello All!!

Since you were all so helpful with my last question (regarding my filter) I knew you'd be the ones to help me once again. I Finally found pellts that finicky Phineas would eat (New Life Spectrum Betta Formula). As a matter of fact he Loves them! The only issues I have with them is A) they are very small and B) they are only semi-floating so they sink quickly and once they start sinking, Phineas won't go after them. So I have agreed to feed him these mini-pellets one at a time, which we both actually enjoy. However, there is no 'serving size' directions on the container and I have no idea how many or how often I should be feeding him. At this point I have been feeding him 2-3 times a day at about 6-8 of these mini-pellets at each serving time....and maybe even a few FD blood worms every couple of days...(he just gets So happy when it's feeding time!).

SO...How often and how much should I be feeding him?

Also, how do you know when you're over-feeding? I think it's evident that as long as I put food in his tank that he likes, he'll gobble up as much as I put in.

Thanks in advance for all your assistance!
FLBettaLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 
Aven

Im pretty new at this too, but i believe the rule of thumb is however much he can eat in 2 minutes. At this point it seems like youre feeding him a little too much, but i cant be sure because i dont know how big the pellets are.
Aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #3 
BetterBetta

Actually that isn't a very good rule of thumb. Bettas will eat till they burst! I recommend 2 pellets, 2 times a day, with the exception of fasting one day of the week so they don't get bloated. And Phineas will gobble up everything because that's just a betta's nature, they don't seem to get full, so many people overfeed their bettas.
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:48 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I agree...Betta feeding should not be based on how much they can eat within a given time.....

Good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals is best....its a good idea to get several different type of foods to feed 3-4 times a day........watch the tummy-you want it to ever so slightly have a rounded look after feeding that decrease from natural digestion over several hours.....the gastric acid and enzymes in the gut will break the food down

You want to avoid soaking the food-soaked food will leach out the mineral/vitamins/nutrients...
For problem eater-you can roll the pellets/foods in some fresh crushed garlic juice to help stimulate appetite-this can also help with medicated food
If the food causes symptomatic bloating-it best to try other brands of food
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #5 
FLBettaLovers

BetterBetta - The pellets aren't 'normal' size pellets. They are Incredibly small. Barely larger than the tip of a ball point pen. Do you still recommend only 2 pellets, 2 times a day? And you recommend one day of fasting a week?

Oldfishlady - I do have several kinds of treats for Phineas (his favorite is definitely the FD blood worms). I only have the one kind of pellet to feed him as it's the Only one I have found that he'll actually eat.
I'll have to really take a look at his belly, but I'm betting I'm over-feeding him. Maybe I should do that day of fasting tomorrow and see if his belly goes down any.

Phineas is my first Betta. I want to make sure I'm giving the Best to him so I apprecaite the advise.
FLBettaLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #6 
BettaGirl290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterBetta View Post
Actually that isn't a very good rule of thumb. Bettas will eat till they burst! I recommend 2 pellets, 2 times a day, with the exception of fasting one day of the week so they don't get bloated. And Phineas will gobble up everything because that's just a betta's nature, they don't seem to get full, so many people overfeed their bettas.
i agree, i feed them at least 2 times a day 1 small pinch, sometimes bloodworms (spawning or as a treat)
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote