Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #1 
crezelda

upgrading to 20g, need algae eaters

so right now i got me my CT, 3 pepper cories, and a gold clam. I'm gonna get 3 more cories so the cories can all chill together.

i'm torn between cherry barbs or neon tetras for a mid level filler

and im *****ing tired of cleaning algae...i had no idea it can grown on my java fern o.o
i need ideas, otos seem to be frail at adjusting, other fish are too big, shrimp get eaten, snails are inneficient and poop a lot..... /sigh

as for plants im using gravel and have a long fluorescent light that came with the hood. kinda blueish light, dunno specifics. have java ferns and a mangled up marimo ball. gonna get more balls. theyre cool. looking for carpet-like or platform-forming plants that dont need substrate, and are okay with the light i got. i dont use any fertilisers atm but if theyre cheap i can look into it.

any tips for cheap decorations? like how to collect and treat rocks and driftwood kinda thing, i saw one tank with empty glass liquor bottles...might try that too ehehehe
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #2 
banana3685

I've seen flower pots and PVC pipes. My fish-enthusiast boyfriend finds bricks, cleans them (boils?), and puts them in. I don't know how he cleans them though.
banana3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #3 
crezelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana3685 View Post
I've seen flower pots and PVC pipes. My fish-enthusiast boyfriend finds bricks, cleans them (boils?), and puts them in. I don't know how he cleans them though.
ohh and unglazed terra cotta would have a ton of good bacteria on it!

i used to use flowerpots for food mice at a reptile place i volenteered at...until one very inbred mouse got his head stuck in the hole in the bottom and died....
Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #4 
banana3685

Quote:
Originally Posted by crezelda View Post
ohh and unglazed terra cotta would have a ton of good bacteria on it!

i used to use flowerpots for food mice at a reptile place i volenteered at...until one very inbred mouse got his head stuck in the hole in the bottom and died....

It was just a suggestion... Wouldn't cleaning it in vinegar / boiling it be alright? I've never personally used them so I can't say they're a good idea. It is possible to seal the hole on the bottom. I believe home improvement stores sell aquarium sealant.
banana3685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #5 
crezelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana3685 View Post
It was just a suggestion... Wouldn't cleaning it in vinegar / boiling it be alright? I've never personally used them so I can't say they're a good idea. It is possible to seal the hole on the bottom. I believe home improvement stores sell aquarium sealant.

oh i think it's a great idea... i just remember mice are stuuupid lol. that and fish usually dont have heads on smaller necks like mammals. i'm totally gonna do some terra cotta. maybe make a platform out of the pot holder bottom and line it with moss and have a plant in the center
Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #6 
BetterBetta

For plants, check out this awesome sticky
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #7 
brownmane

If you are thinking of using terra cotta pots, I've blocked the hole in the bottom with a small stone stuck into the hole. Fish have gotten caught trying to swim through the holes (depending on how the pot is set up).

As for algae growth, if you search other posts on this site, you'll find that the most common cause is too much light. Different suggestions for dealing with this is having your tank lights on for minimal amount of time, adding floating plants to the tank, or changing your light. Some lights are made specifically for growing plants and are brighter and of a different spectrum than those that fish can live with.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #8 
crezelda

i'm making the switch from incadescent to fluorescent, so lets see how that goes!
and lol even fish get stuck in pots too eh ;P
Old 08-07-2011, 11:51 PM   #9 
ohhrats

i broke the bottoms out of my terra cotta pots using a screwdriver and hammer to gently break them apart. then smoothed out the rough parts until rounded and no longer sharp. have been working great in my community, betta, and betta sorority tanks since i've put them in. i was terrified of little heads getting stuck, but no longer a worry!
ohhrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #10 
LittleBettas

The terra pot hole thing, I set a small pebble on top of mine over the hole just in case, works perfect and my girl LOVES it
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote