Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #11 
Indyfishy

Hmmm i've never heard of the fins turning white with columnaris, doesn't it usually attack the mouth area??? Are they fuzzy looking or just white?? Maybe he's shedding his slime coat. I agree with betterbetta, I'd PM darkmoon17 or oldfishlady for advice on that one. I'm sorry, I've never heard of that before =/
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #12 
masshiimarro

hmm... theyr slightly fuzzy on the pectorals, but i can imagine since its deteriorating away.
masshiimarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #13 
Indyfishy

It might be because of the parasites, he probably hasn't been getting enough nutrients since he's had them. I've heard of bettas getting paler when they have them, and I saw another thread on here a while back where the bettas fins were sort of falling off and it had internal parasites. But I'd still PM darkmoon17 or oldfishlady as i'm not 100% sure on that one =/
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Fish have internal parasites in the gut/intestines at all times....the healthy immune response along with expelling them on a regular basis keeps the fish asymptomatic...its normal in other words, however, when the fish start to become symptomatic a treatment may be needed...

I only use natural treatments for internal parasites-that being fresh crushed garlic given orally 3 times a day...but it takes 6 weeks to see any results....Epsom salt 3tsp/gal is also helpful to aid in purging the internal parasites along with the feeding of fresh garlic....

If you want medications I would contact Darkmoon....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #15 
vaygirl

My boys have had cloudy eye from time to time and it would clear up on it's on with increased water changes. Is it just like a pinpoint of a spot on his eye or is his whole eye cloudy?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #16 
masshiimarro

@vaygirl: its only one spot/dot on both eyes. this has happened before on one eye only and it mysteriously went away. this time its both eyes..
Old 08-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #17 
vaygirl

For me it always came and went, like you said. Sometimes one eye, sometimes both. Only one of my bettas ever had that issue and it was always resolved with clean water and time.

I do know that pond and nerite snails can have die offs when food runs out and then they can end up rotting in the tank and spiking ammonia. I have them in all my tanks as well and I've had this happen. So if it were me, I would get a test kit (if you don't already have one). Those pinpoint white spots are usually related to water quality issues and you could be getting ammonia spikes.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #18 
masshiimarro

for a betta to get white spots on their eyes becuase of water quality.... does that mean that the water quality has gotten really bad? i have lots of live plants in my tank that should take away some ammonia.....?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #19 
vaygirl

No, not necessarily really bad. My ammonia has never been above .50 when I checked and my water naturally has a .25 ammonia reading. And I also have planted tanks. It's just something to consider and one of the reasons to have some kind of testing kit so you know what's going on rather then having to guess. Especially if you have snails. He's QT'd right now so it might clear up in the cup with more frequent water changes.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 AM   #20 
masshiimarro

okay, so upon closer inspection of his body, it seems like.. hes shedding his slime coat maybe?? i have no idea what shedding slime coat looks like, but he seems to have areas of the front of his body where theres noticeably an extra layer kinda floating away from him but still attached. its mostly translucent and has the texture of the jelly of pond snail egg sacs? is shedding the slime coat harmful and what does it mean?
his fins seem to have gotten better and the white ends are disappearing on his pectorals, which is good, right? his eye spots are also slightly fading.
lol the poor little bugger seemed soo very happy when i gave him his food, he jumped for it. no worries hes still in QT, but the poor guy, being floated in his tank but unable to get to it. im sure hes bugged by that.