Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Help For Betta-Compatible Tankmates

I decided to set up this thread for anyone who has betta-compatible tankmates and needs help with them. These include guppies, platies, swordtails, cory cats, otos, snails, shrimp, tetras, and pretty much any other small fish you can safely house with bettas. I know when I branched out into other fish beside bettas, I had a hard time finding a non-betta forum that offered help and info so I always ended up back here. I'm rationalizing this thread by saying they're BETTA-compatible tankmates, lol. Post questions about the health of your non-betta tankmates, as well as any concerns you might have about housing said tankmates with your bettas. This isn't a stocking advice thread, though, more of a health thread.

So, my current betta-compatible tankmates are 4 panda cory cats, 6 danios, and 3 platies. The platies are new (3 days) and won't eat anything I offer, including New Life Spectrum Small Fish formula pellets, Omega One Veggie Flakes and Color Flakes, frozen bloodworms, spirulina pellets, or pretty much anything else. Any suggestions?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #2 
cajunamy
Banned

I was under the impression guppies wouldn't work? If they do that's awesome news cause I'll be putting all my girl bettas in my 55 gallon tank, and I'd love to have guppies, tetras or something else in there with them! So any more info would be much appreciated.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I personally wouldn't put Guppies in a tank with male Bettas but not sure about females. I am sure if they were plain Guppies it would work!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #4 
cajunamy
Banned

plain as in ... female? or as in your normal everyday guppy? It would be whatever I find in pet stores - I haven't ventured into looking at fancy guppies (yet) lol
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #5 
Sakura8

So far all I've seen are fancy guppies at my pet store, but the females are pretty drab. Drab in a nice way, of course. I think you'd be okay with guppies and your girls in a 55g because it's so big, there would be plenty of room for everyone. If you got tetras you might want to get ones that are bigger than neons so the girls don't pick on them.

Sigh, I wish I had a 55g to play with.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #6 
BETTA DET

Khuli loaches, they like the same parameters as bettas and they bother no one and no one bothers them. The only thing is they like to hide, but when they come out they are clowns. Easy to care for, clean the bottom. One of my favorite fish since I was a kid. They are social so get at least 2. Good gravel cleaners as well.
BETTA DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I heard if you have at least four, they'll ball themselves up in a cave to sleep. I wish I had a tank big enough for a lot of kuhli loaches. But if I could have a really big tank, I'd get one big enough for three or four clown loaches. Sigh. If only.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:13 AM   #8 
BETTA DET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I heard if you have at least four, they'll ball themselves up in a cave to sleep. I wish I had a tank big enough for a lot of kuhli loaches. But if I could have a really big tank, I'd get one big enough for three or four clown loaches. Sigh. If only.
They do fine in pairs, Ive alway kept them in pairs and they always were fine. They dont take up much space at all. They live a long time too. They only get about three inches long but they are less then half an inch thick. They grow on you fast.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Loaches are fun little fish. Do kuhlis make clicking sounds?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #10 
BETTA DET

No I cant say that Ive ever heard them make any clicking sounds, they also dont eat snails like other loaches. They are much more active in the dark as well.