Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Crazy girl. I hope the time out works and she settles down.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:51 AM   #22 
cajunamy
Banned

Pretty much a gamble then. I'm thinking no on guppies.

I have had black kuhlies in my 15 gallon sorority, They are awesome little fish. I'd like to find some striped ones.

I might go platies ... unsure. They look pretty similar to girl bettas come to think of it (a tad smaller though I think?) I'd really like some livebearers as a source of live food for my bettas. Sorry if that sounds cruel.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #23 
Wyvern

Strangely enough she was picking on the duller of my guppies. The colourful boys she left alone.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #24 
Sakura8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
Pretty much a gamble then. I'm thinking no on guppies.

I have had black kuhlies in my 15 gallon sorority, They are awesome little fish. I'd like to find some striped ones.

I might go platies ... unsure. They look pretty similar to girl bettas come to think of it (a tad smaller though I think?) I'd really like some livebearers as a source of live food for my bettas. Sorry if that sounds cruel.
I've had 2 platie girls and a guy for a week in "new fish QT" and already got a small batch of fry. Trust me, if you get a guy and a girl, you will definitely have a steady source of live food.

And all I can say for sure is definitely no danios. They're too hyper. I tried a few bettas in with my danios and each one did poorly. The females got stripey (my teal girl looked like a danio herself) and my male just headbutted any danio that passed by him. Which they did frequently because they're not too bright and never tried to avoid him.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #25 
cajunamy
Banned

What about black knife fish? Probably no, but I love them and now have a nice big tank for some if I can manage it lol
Old 08-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Those guys are so neat looking! And they can swim backwards AND forwards. But don't knifefishes get anywhere from 12-40" long depending on the type?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #27 
cajunamy
Banned

Yes, I saw 18-20" though. And it's a no no definitely for a betta sorority, they are predators :(

I'd love to get another 55 or even a 75 and get 2-3 of them though!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Oh if only we had room for all the big tanks we dream of. I'd love a big one with clown loaches and couple of the bigger gouramis.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #29 
copperarabian

Black knife fish are interesting fish, I saw a huge 15" at a pet store. they need a 75+ aquarium as they grow bigger.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #30 
Sakura8

So two questions:
1) Do cory cats tend to bury themselves in the substrate? I'm missing one panda cory. I can't find him anywhere. I checked the filter, checked all around the tank, swept under the dresser, checked the decorations, raked the sand. Can't find him.

2) I have nine platy fry in a 3.75g kritter keeper. They're 4 days old. How long can I keep them there until I need to move them to a bigger tank?