Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #1 
audjree

Good Water Test Kits

i'm just wondering what kind or what brand of test kits you guys use to test your water.

has anyone tried this one? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...#RatingsDetail

or this one? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147327

also, what are safe water parameters?
oh, and what's the difference between stress coat and stress coat+ ?
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #2 
audjree

and does anyone use stress zyme? would it be good to use it in a 2.5 gallon tank or is it not required?
Old 08-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

One of the better hobby grade test kits is the API Freshwater master test kit...it has nearly everything you need...Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH....and it last forever and pretty accurate.....other test kit to have especially if you have more sensitive species of fish that need the hardness changed for breeding and eggs...is the KH/GH- API makes this too....

Water prams:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
High nitrate over 30-40ppm can compromise the immune response and affect growth and development in fry-its also a sign of poor husbandry...

pH-for Bettas- you want to avoid extremes and sudden changes...generally Bettas will adjust/adapt to your source water pH without issue....

You can go to the product in question web-site and they usually will have the needed information about the difference.

IMO/E-the less chemical additives the better...a good quality dechlorinator that covers chlorine/chloramine/heavy metals...several on the market that are good....like Prime by Seachem...more for the money or as some say..."more bang for the buck".....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 
audjree

thank you so much! i will buy that master kit and prime asap. (:
Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Don't get me wrong....I think everyone needs a water test kit...but with small tanks less than 5-10gal......you don't really need a test kit.....you can establish the nitrogen cycle on the small filtered tanks...but the bacteria is limited and you still need to make twice weekly water changes to maintain water quality....its good to learn how to use them and have one on hand when you get the big tank.....and if you have the money to spend on one...thats great......just saying you don't have to have one because you should be changing the water twice a week anyway.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM   #6 
audjree

yeah, i was thinking about it when i went to petsmart yesterday, and i bought some prime, but i decided to wait to get the test kit. i think i'll buy it in the near future.