Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #1 
lessandler

Unhappy 2 New Aquabid Bettas not eating

I just got 2 new beauties of Aquabid on wednesday. They were shipped from Thailand on Tuesday and I picked them up hours from being retrieved from the airport wednesday early evening.

I very slowly acclimated them even though my water was fairly close in ph to their water (7.4 and 7.0 respectively). And as per the instructions on this site http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/se.../acclimate.htm I made sure not to dump the aquarium water in. But my nets that I purchased were too small and I had to scoop them out with my hands, but I had their cups in the water so they half jumped in the tank.

Now they seemed rather scared of me (which none of my fish ever have been) and won't eat NLS Thera A, NLS Betta pellets, Omega Betta Buffet flakes or anything else I put in there. They seem uninterested in food, not going to the top of the tank and not even trying the food and spitting it out.

I have seachem's garlic to soak them if necessary but haven't tried them yet. I would rather not go to live foods because of parasites, or frozen due to the mess they create. But I will if necessary.

Is this normal? Should I not be concerned? I got Floyd from Aquabid (the same breeder I got one of these from) and he was eating any pellet after 24 hours voraciously.

They are both in gently filtered, 5.5 gallon long, heated (80F) quarantine tanks. Because they are QT tanks there is very little in them, but I have 2 mug caves for decor.

Thanks for any replies!
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM   #2 
EverythingNice55

Well, maybe your bettas are just getting used to the tank/bowl or whatever. Sometimes, bettas chew their food, and spit it out again, it's completely normal. Sometimes the food can be too big for their little mouth and they chew and chew then spit it out because it's too big. I think bettas go ga-ga for live mosquitoes! At first, my betta wouldn't eat, and I was worried, but then he got used to it and started eating. Sorry if this didn't really help because I'm new with betta fish things... :)
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #3 
lessandler

Oh thanks for the reply!

Live mosquitos?! Yikes! Can't say anyone around here sells them and I am not sure I would want to go hunting for them. I have irresistible blood and am slightly allergic (ping pong ball welts!)

The problem is they are not trying them and spitting them out. If they were I would just hunt for other food. I guess they aren't hungry and I should just wait it out....

Any other suggestions out there for irresistible food that won't lunch on me in turn?
lessandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #4 
Neelie

its totally normal for fish to not eat for a while after coming into a new tank. id say give him a few more days and see what happens. keep direct light away from them and they will settle down soon dont feed them if they arent interested in you or your hand. your water will get too dirty.

dont panic
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #5 
mjoy79

hi lessandler - wish I knew how to help you with the eating thing. I have yet to have a fish that won't eat ANYTHING!
Looks like you had a better experience with shipping from Thailand this time tho!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 
BETTACHKALOVE

I think they still adjusting to new environment, water. Do they active at all. If they are lethargic i would worry about it but if they active and don't have any other symptoms give them a few days. Make sure u take food out of the water if they don't eat.

I can't feed my bettas with live food unfortunately but i feed them with tiny,tiny...pieces of the cooked shrimp. It just difficult because if they don't grab it from ur finger or if it sink to the bottom of the tank my betta usually grub it anyway. But i am afraid if it will on the bottom of the tank it will contaminate the water.

BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Most Asians feed their bettas live food. So they probably need getting used to man made food. Then there's the adapting process.

Try feeding some live food, they go crazy for mosq. larva. Frozen BW is ok. Don't feed a lot - just get their appetite going. Then give them the pellet. They would probably ignore it or spit it out but sooner or later hunger will make them eat. You could also show them other fish eating the pellet - this sometimes helps.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #8 
nel3

i aclimated my Thai betta slowly (3hrs). not sure if im just lucky but he ignored all food except the frozen BW. try feeding the frozen bloodworms (it ate them), its what seems to be on their previous menu. dont think mine was feed brine shrimp but i'll get it to do so. i rolled a pellet in the bloodworm juice, it did try to eat it but its too early to get used to swallow it. i love feeding my new betta, he's a calm one, unlike my first one that just attacks readily any food.

Last edited by nel3; 08-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #9 
BETTACHKALOVE

I am embarrassed to ask. I never feed them with live food. Where do i buy mosq.larva? And is it difficult to feed them with it? Is it really tiny?

Now my concern is the parasites. I know i think OFL was saying that garlic juice will prevent the parasites? But how to use garlic juice if u feed with larva?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

ML isn't usually sold. You have to grow them in your back yard. Once you have them, just net them then rinse. If you want to be extra safe, release them in medicated water for 15 minutes or so before feeding them to your betta. This is how garlic juice is used too.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote