Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal.
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? internal Duetto 50
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? In the winter time
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 ghost shrimp

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Dr. G's frozen brine shrimp, Dr G's frozen bloodworms, Omega One flakes, Hikari micro wafer pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day 5 or 6 days out the week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? At least once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% Usually. 75% once a month
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and I let it sit for a day or two first, Aquarium salt once in awhile.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10 ppm
pH:7.8
Hardness:5
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Swollen right side bump right behind his belly. The scales appear to almost start to pineconing but not quite but only where it is swollen.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It really hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water changes everyday. 25-40%. 2 tablespoon of aquarium salt the first day. One dosage of pimafix and melafix yesterday. Only fed him brine shrimp once since I noticed it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? ich when I first got him and sbd twice due to over eating. (he ate the algae wafers I had put for the otos when he was tanked with otos 6 months ago.)
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year

Tank is bare bottom but I have hornwort, a java fern and java moss in there. Poop is light brown and stringy but short which is normal for him.

He is a crowntail and the bump is basically a centimeter behind his pectoral fin on the right side. i would say the diameter of the bump is probably just a tad smaller than the diamater of a regular pen but it does stick out pretty good. He really hasn't changed in behavior too much but doesn't swim as fast as normal. I don't think its swim bladder he had that twice and that was more his belly than this bump here. I have tried looking everywhere for pictures or description for something similar and haven't really found anything that i think would be close enough to it. I only used the melafix and pimafix once to try to prevent it from getting worse. I don't really want to medicate without knowing what it is.
TurboDude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #2 
DarkMoon17

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds to me like your fish might have a tumor... Would it be possible for you to snap a picture of him?

You might want to stop the Primafix and Melafix, they are actually harmful to bettas. They harm their labyrinth organ (lungs) which they use to breath from the surface.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #3 
TurboDude69

ok thanks i will try to as soon as i can. He is still wanting to eat. i only give him one pellet instead of the 4 he usually got. Yeah i only used a 1/3 of the dosage for that reason with the melafix and the pimafix and already did a 10%water change since. it seems like he is chillin a little bit more than usual today.
TurboDude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #4 
Abby

Are you talking about a lump like this?
Name:  IMG_5425 (2).jpg
Views: 166
Size:  19.4 KB

That is on Ailie and shes never had a problem it just seems to be a small lump i see now and then
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote