Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Place to work at to better inform new fishkeepers.
Wal-mart fish section 4 30.77%
Petsmart fish section 9 69.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #1 
Kaoru

Wal-mart or Petsmart?

Which place would be better to work at? Considering Walmart is in dire need of someone who knows how to handle fish or Petsmart who could do better with theirs as well. I ask because I want to know which I could make a better difference at. I realize this doesnt change the corporations, but it does for the people who ask me for help and see the fish in stock at the one location I will be working at. Please don't give me any crap about my being naive. I just want to know your opinions, and not receive a lecture on life and how insignificant I am trying to change things. Sorry, I just came back from another forum, highly reputated, but not very friendly when it comes to giving advice. So yeah, what do you guys think? :)
Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #2 
CrowntailTwitchy57

definately walmart, because i would go there every day and make sure they were fed and their water is clean and the cups are full! AND i would educate people on the fact that bettas are NOT as low-maintenence as people think!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #3 
LaLaLeyla

I know wallmart doesnt take good care of their fish. But doesnt it seem to make more sense to tell Petsmart. Since they care about animals, they might want to listen.

And wallmart doesn't only revolve around their fish.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #4 
Laki

Agree, while PetSmart tries it's best to educate and be good (at least mine does. We only have one and it only opened a couple months ago) they could use the expertise. WalMart couldnt give the less of two poops about fish. The best thing you can do is ignore the pet dept all together until they stop selling fish. It worked here and all the WM in my province have stopped the sale of live animals due to comptetition from LPS. Granted, our WM's are usually surrounded by a giant Pet store. Up in the area I shop, there are 3 stores that sell pets and supplies so WM got sold out easily. People don't go to WM for pets usually and when they do they either don't know better and buy and fish that dies or cannot tell a sick fish from a healthy one and it dies or someone like us who refuses sometimes to buy them bc they're sickly. WM loses out then.

Give it a bit of time, write some letters. Soon WM won't need to sell animals :)

PetSmart, on the other hand would be likely to hire someone who knows what they're talking about and has passion. All the employees I have dealt with at mine are informative and work the deprtments they are knowledgable in.

Best of luck! I don't think your insignificant. Not one bit. To change the world we need to be the change we want to see, said Ghandi. He was wise, one person is all it takes to make a difference.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #5 
kmargold

When I got my very first betta at Meijer a couple years ago, I knew nothing about them. Meijer is the same as a walmart supercenter in my opinion. Basically the guy told me the fish would be fine in a little tiny cup thing and me being a new fish owner, I believed him. Now that I know better, I feel sooo bad for my first fish that died a while ago.
kmargold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmargold View Post
When I got my very first betta at Meijer a couple years ago, I knew nothing about them. Meijer is the same as a walmart supercenter in my opinion. Basically the guy told me the fish would be fine in a little tiny cup thing and me being a new fish owner, I believed him. Now that I know better, I feel sooo bad for my first fish that died a while ago.
Hello and welcome to the forum. We were all newbies once and made mistakes. The important thing is that we learn from our mistakes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #7 
GreenTea

Also..They are both giant corporations but trust me, you do not want to work for Walmart. Soul suckers.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #8 
nel3

id go with Petsmart, i do drop by Plattsburg once in a whiile abd they're better than the Walmart nearby. though i'd buy local in Montreal, Walmart used to sell fish but that was many years ago.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

I vote petsmart. We dont have one but our petco sucks at betta care and its a pet store. Walmart is not. I think you may have more of an effect with petsmart. Although almost ALL of my fish came from walmart...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #10 
Bresn

I vote for petsmart they are the best!
Bresn is offline   Reply With Quote