Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Parasites with Frog Again

Does anyone know what the start of tapeworms in a betta looks like? Frog, whom I've been caring for for about a week now, has been having problems with parasites. they'll show up in her poop, she gets treated, they go away, and then they show up again. she's already been treated twice for parasites with the Jungle brand parasite fizzies and will be getting a third treatment in just a little bit.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Usually 80* F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 other separated betta males
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Topfin color enhancing Pellets and Top fin Freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day usually (She's been getting fed more frequently to gain weight)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually once a week on wednesday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? As close to 100% as I can get (Just did a 50% water change today to dilute the aquarium salt for Ratchet's fins and to follow instructions on teh parasite medication)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Usually only Tetra Water Safe, but sometimes Kordon Fish Protector along with the the conditioner

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?She's got a long, stringy white poop right now
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She's stopped jerking around while swimming since the last parasite treatment, but I've never seen her have just a pure parasite poop
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Probably 20 minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water change, short epsom salt bath while doing a water change, and will soon be restarting the parasite treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only recently when my sister added 4 new females to her sorority when frog was still in it, but only 1 of the other girls has shown parasites since then, and has already been treated
How old is your fish (approximately)? We've had her for a few months now, so I'd say probably over a year old.

I've tried to get her to eat some of the Jungle brand parasite pellets, but she isn't interested. I gave what she didn't eat to Ratchet since he always seems to get what she's got.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Here's what it looks like as of just a minute ago. It's already doubled in length since I did the water change. She isn't in the full treatment yet since I'm acclimating her to the higher water temperature from the change since it reached about 86*. She'll be in the tank within 10 minutes since the temperature has gone down and she's been acclimating for a few minutes.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Yorick has now started to poop a parasite now too. He ate one parasite pellet before realizing that they didn't taste so great.

Any other suggestions on what to do for them would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Neither of them have a parasite hanging out of them any more and they aren't acting any differently now. Ratchet has not shown any signs of parasites for the past few days, but he's still getting treatment just in case since he's in a shared tank with two sickies now. All of their appetites seem normal, if not upped, but I may just be falling for the starving puppy act.

Will Jungle brand parasite medications successfully kill tapeworms and their eggs? I have 3 tablets left until I need to go buy more, so hopefully they'll stop before that happens.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #5 
Indyfishy

The fizz tabs take care of both internal and external parasites. Also, you can soak the anti-parasite pellets in garlic juice to make them taste better! Good luck =D
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

I'll probably soak them in some fresh garlic juice tomorrow. Ratchet and Yorick only ate them because they were in feeding frenzy mode.

Yorick is bloating pretty bad so he's in a cup of the treated tank water with some epsom salt too. Ratchet is just starting to poop a parasite. :/
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

After another round of treatment there were a few days without normal poop. Unfortunately now, Frog has once again started pooping white.

I don't know if this is an egg poop or not yet. If it's parasites once again, are there any more effective methods on preventing/treating it?

My 10 gallon has gone through 3 rounds of Jungle Parasite Fizzies, after each there were a few days of normal poop before relapse on Frog's part.

I'll probably be going out to Walmart tomorrow to buy more parasite fizzies and some garlic if I can find any cloves to soak the medication food. Should I look into getting anything else on my trip or just stick to those two things?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

I've also increased my water changes while they were on medications to around 50% every other day to follow the directions for the parasite fizzies (25% change before retreating). I did a 75% change today after seeing Fog's poop and cupping her with some epsom salt.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #9 
Indyfishy

If the fizz tabs aren't working you could try API General cure, its supposed to be effective against internal paraistes. They sell it at petsmart I think. I'm sorry that your guys aren't getting any better, that's so frustrating!! Definitely pick up some garlic, garlic has some anti-parasitic properties on its own. Even if you can't get them to eat the anti-parasite pellets soaked in garlic, just soaking regular pellets in garlic will help alot! Also, the garlic juice doesn't have to be fresh, those jars of pre-minced garlic work just fine!

Last edited by Indyfishy; 07-29-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Alright. That should be a little easier on me than trying to juice some garlic. I'm gonna let her finish with this poop before really examining it because I haven't owned any females and don't know what eggy poop looks like. I know it's possible for it to be that since she's on a mixed high protein diet, in warmer water, and between two males that dance for her.

This just puts a giant setback in trying to get her to gain a little weight and for transferring back to the sorority so Moonshoes is out of the quarter gallon.