Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #1 
Cwaz33xNina

Tank Getting Too Hot :(

Hi guys i'm new! but anyways... I have this 10 gallon tank and the water been well over 82 degrees lately. No I do not have a heater in there and I just switched to a flourescent bulb. The temperature has been 108 degrees outside everyday for the past week already, but I do keep the A/C on all day indoors. Do you guys have any suggestions about how to get the water temperature to cool down?
Cwaz33xNina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #2 
Cwaz33xNina

bumppage.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

82 is really not a problem for bettas. Do you have fish in the tank? If so, do they seem okay? The big problem for fish is quick changes in temp. Most tropical fish can survive in 86+. However, if the fish has an underlying illness the temp could be deadly.

For ways to cool the tank down, should you need to do so:

Turn the light off. Unless you have live plants, a light is only needed for you to view the fish. So turn it on when you want to look at them/feed them.

If you have live plants, or turning off the lights isn't enough, you can float a plastic bag with an ice cube or two in it. Once again, you don't want to change the temp fast. Because you probably don't dechlorinate your ice cubes, make sure the water doesn't get in the tank with your fish.

And welcome to the forum! There are a lot of really knowledgeable people here.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #4 
Cwaz33xNina

Awe yeah I tried sticking frozen water bottles in there to float around. My thermometer only goes up to 82 cuz it's the one you stick on the outside, but I think it might be around 86. I have tetras and guppies in there too, I'm sure it's fine but I get so worried :/ the temp spikes up when I'm not home.