Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #1 
person

Will keeping a tank light on too long cause algie?

Ive bin avoided lighted tanks sence my first betta Mr. fishy got ick from the light in the tank causing algie to grow(luckally he made a full recovery with the right care). ive just gotten a new tank with a filter and a light. will this happen agen if the light is left on too much?
person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

A tank light will not cause ich, thats from dirty water, (AQ lights actually usually help with ich) the light will cause some algea growth, but not much from my experiance (and some algea is wanted along with bacteria)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #3 
person

thats good to know. They guy at the pet store told me it was from the light but he didnt seem to know very much. and i have snails so i guess they have to eat something too :)
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

lol, yeah, I dont really trust pet store employees opinions in most cases... and they wont eat ALL kinds of algeas, the main thing you have to watch out for is left over food and poop, if you siphon it out every now and then the tank will stay reasonably clean (still need to do water changes!)
Old 08-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #5 
cajunamy
Banned

lots of light and nutrients (waste) in the water can cause algae.

ich is caused by the water being too cold and dirty.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #6 
person

i have another question. My male keeps flairing at the females through the tank devider. and my one vt female keeps swimming up to him and swimming upside down along the divider and flairing at him and she looks like shes getting vertical stripes along her. Dose that mean anything?Could she have some kind of disease if shes swimming upsidedown? should i get a divider where they cant see eachother? i just brought her home today and this hasn't stopped for hours.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #7 
LittleBettas

Vertical stripes usually mean she is ready to breed, you may want to get plants or something to put up so they cant see each other... but you may want to wait for another member to put in more info on that matter...
Old 08-05-2011, 10:40 PM   #8 
person

oh. they dont look like they like eachother very much tho. i hope they stop looking like they want to kill eachother once they realize theirs no way to the other side of the tank.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #9 
LittleBettas

They can get really stressed though, you may want to either consider getting a divider that wont prevent them from seeing each other or adding plants or something to help block the view, a stressed fish is more likely to get sick
Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #10 
person

im gonna put some plants around it and see if that works.

and as for the snails, ive seen them chompting down on left over meal worms. that seems to be their favorate. one of them is an apple snail. Their known to have quite the appitite. their both still babies tho. i think i might need to invenst in one of those vacume tubes for the bottom of the tank.

Last edited by person; 08-06-2011 at 10:51 AM.