Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #1 
Sephy765

Theres something wrong with my NEW betta fish. HELP!

So i bought a half moon super red recently and I put it in a breeder tank. Ill upload pictures. Its a plain REPTILE tank with two plant bulbs, a cup for a bubble nest, and an almond leaf in it. He recently died to what i believe was dropsy. I got the water tests and there is no beneficial bacteria, pH is normal, as is ammonia and nitrate. I bought a new betta thinking that everything was fine now and i just got a sick fish but after putting him in his tank for an hour he is already staying on the bottom of the tank (like my last fish) and not moving or eating at all. What is wrong with my set up? Is it the tank? Is it somehow killing the fish? I really do not know. Please help me guys!

I got a female betta fish in my aquatic garden tank and she is doing fantastic. Constantly moving, eats tons, and very interested in everything. What would be a good course of action on saving and breeding my betta fish?

Thank you for your time
Sephy
Sephy765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:28 AM   #2 
Sephy765

My breeder tank

Another picture

My new betta fish in a small container

my female betta

my female's aquatic garden

Aquatic garden

My setup
Old 08-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Hmmmm...

Did you add water conditioner?
and how long have you had him?

Sometimes pet shops do not keep their fish in very good condition and it may take them a few days to recover from their pet store treatment.

I had a problem with my bettas dying within a few days time. I though they were sick but I think now they were dying from either ammonia/nitrate poisining or from chemicals in my tap water. No one told me i needed water conditioner or about the nitrogen cycle for filtered tanks.

hopefully some will be along soon to help you out more then I can.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

How did you clean the tank after you took the reptiles out...or was it ever used for that......how much and what kind of dechlorinator did you use and water temp...how did you acclimated the Betta to the new tank.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #5 
Sephy765

I used Instant DeChlor dechlorinator. I rinsed out the tank thoroughly, cleaned it with some glass cleaner, and then rinsed it like crazy after that so that there isn't any harmful chemicals. I live in Arizona so the water is always between 78 - 80 degrees. When i got him i the container i got him in and put it in the new aquarium so that the water temperature difference will ultimately become the same temperature but slower.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

What was in the glass cleaner and did you use this on the inside of the tank....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #7 
Sephy765

Its just regular glass cleaner from an can. I used it on the other tank as well so i don't think that's the factor. Luckily, he is starting to perk up. I think he was just depressed. Thank you for your time!

Sephy