Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #1 
ccavute
Banned

Exclamation My Betta fish got freaked out once,now is pretty sick.what should i do?

One day i was changing water. I accidentally tapped the edge of the tank. Then the betta fish freaked out and swimmed away like crazy and hit the glass. A few minutes later, his color changed from red to pink red. He now changed to red again, but he doesn't follow my finger anymore, and stay under his bobble nest most of time, and doesnt move much at all.
He is not blind, but respond very slow now. He used to react to my mirror 2, 3 seconds after I put a mirror next to him, now it takes like 10 seconds.
Now he is just stay at the bottom of the tank.

What should I do now to make him feel better. Is he going to die? :(
Thanks
ccavute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi ccavute and welcome to the forum.

Is your betta eating? Is he breathing okay? How long ago did the accident happen? He may just be hiding until he regains his confidence.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #3 
ccavute
Banned

it happened since yesterday. he doesn't eat, just stays at the bottom.
I just checked, he got one of his eyes swollen(really big) :...(
his color is also changed :(
OMG, I am freaking out now, i dunno what to do... :.....(
Old 08-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #4 
Sakura8

What was his behavior like beforehand? Unless he poked his eye on some sharp decor before hitting the glass, his eye shouldn't be swollen from his accident. What is your water change schedule? I'm wondering if it's a water quality problem that you are just noticing because of his accident. :/ For now, find a small bowl or cup and put him in there with some fresh, dechlorinated water. If he's breathing heavily, lower the water level to about 2 inches so he can easily reach the surface to breathe. Try to keep him as warm as possible. If you could answer the following questions that would be great.

What is your tank size?
Is it heated?
How often do you change the water?
How much do you take out per change?
What kind of water conditioner do you use?
Old 08-06-2011, 02:18 AM   #5 
ccavute
Banned

he was totally fine, ate normal, swimmed normal, beautiful color, followed my hand and stuff. i saw him bumped into the glass yesterday, but only found out about the swollen eyes today(now two eyes are swollen), I went to pet shop nearby, the only medicine they have is the 'multicure' it says it's anti bacterial. my betta looks pretty dead ...T0T...
Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #6 
Sakura8

:( Are you sure you don't see gills moving? When you say hard, how hard? I've never heard of a fish hitting glass hard enough to give itself brain damage but it could have happened. :(

I will contact one of the other posters who is very knowledgeable about fish behavior and injuries, she may know something. I'm really sorry I couldn't help you.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:54 AM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Make a new thread in Emergnancy and Diseases fill out the forum sticky and from what your describing it sounds like pop-eye. I haven't got much experience with it but I wish you luck.

EDIT: I posted and it refreshed the page. I really do wish you luck but it sounds like pop eye from the swollan eye.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #8 
Sakura8

ccavute, I have contacted Oldfishlady, who will hopefully check this thread tomorrow. She will know more.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:38 AM   #9 
ccavute
Banned

Thank you all for your kind help, I will upload a photo later. he is still moving around, but he is not balanced. he gets crazy when I just move the temporary container(I separated him to a different place). It seems he can't stand any vibration.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Try to keep his container dark so the light doesn't upset him. It really is starting to sound like he gave himself a head injury. I hope he gets better after some rest and some quiet time. Poor fella, he must have quite a headache.