Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 03:12 AM   #1 
astoda

Cycling a Sorority Tank

I'm currently cycling a 20 gal tank with plans to make it a sorority tank. I've had a female betta in there for about 2 weeks and a week ago I added two platies. The last few days the female betta has been swimming with her fins not really clamped but a lot less open then she used to. Her color is also not as bright as it usually is. The water parameters are still actually looking really good as I get them tested every day. Do you think its the stress of the 2 platies? I finally took her out and put her back in her bowl because I was so worried about her. Any tips?
astoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do you think the platies might be harrassing her?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #3 
astoda

I took her out. I think that have been the case. I bought two new platies and one of the old platies has been picking on them so badly that they would just hide. I finally took the meanie out but I guess not soon enough. Both new guys died. I'm really discouraged right now. I've been trying to do everything by the book, but my tank won't cycle and I have the only cichlid-style aggressive platy on the planet. I need professional help...
Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about your platies. I had no idea they could be so mean.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:30 AM   #5 
Sakura8

I'm sorry things are going so rough for you. Don't give up, even going by the book things don't always work out right. First, exactly how many fish are left in the 20g you are trying to cycle?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 
astoda

Well, now I don't have any. The platies got ick shortly after I posted last. That made me think that maybe that's why my female was so stressed looking. So I just started treating her as well. She is light colored and I was worried I couldn't see white dots for this reason. She is looking better now. The platies are in a smaller tank getting treated for ick. I have a few live plants in the sorority tank so I didn't want to hurt them with the medication. I know I'm starting all over on the cycling, right? The one platy is still incredibly mean to the other one. I will not put one of my bettas with it again. I still am a little discouraged. Any advice would really be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Yes, you are starting over again but that's okay. Now that you don't have anyone in the tank, you can do a fish-less cycle if you want. I'll PM you a cycle guide I wrote up. Hopefully it will help you decide if you want to continue cycling with fish or without. But don't be discouraged. Sometimes bad things happen to good fishowners. You're doing fine. Cycling tanks takes a lot of time and sometimes you do have to start over once or twice before it cycles. And ich can happen to anyone at anytime.

Platies can be mean. :/ They are either really easy-going or just downright nasty. I have heard of a platy attacking a betta and injuring it so badly it died later. :( But right now I have three platies and a betta female in my 10g and it's actually my betta who is picking on the platies, so it all depends on the platy. If you can, get a few more platies so you have a group of 3-4. That will help spread the aggression around so the mean platy isn't picking on just one platy in particular. Or see if you can return the mean platy and get another one; maybe it will be nicer. Make sure they have some plants to hide in.

Did your female have clamped fins and was she kind of rubbing along things? She probably did have ich. My sorority recently had an ich outbreak but because it was all five girls, I had to treat them in the tank. Thank goodness I didn't have live plants but I'm thinking of adding some now.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post or PM me. Hang in there, the road is rough but it's worth it when you get the tank all cycled.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #8 
astoda

Name:  DSCN2899.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  70.0 KBThanks. I got your PM and I'm all inspired now to try again. I'm gonna try it with the fish food and see how it goes. This is what my tank looks like without any fish in it. I'm hoping the plants will grow up enough while I do the fishless cycle to make enough hiding places for the girls.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Wow, your tank is awesome! The wooden rims on the tank make it look so much nicer than the black rims. Good luck with the cycling and if you need any help, don't hesitate to ask. :)