Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #1 
McLizardman

How to Change the water in a tank?

Hi, I am brand new to the forum. I didn't buy a betta fish yet, but I am considering it. I have done a lot of research, and I plan on getting a filtered 2.5 gallon tank, which according to one of the sticky threads in this forum requires a 50% percent water change once a week. I have never owned a fish before and do not know how to really change the water in the tank, so I would appreciate some form of instruction. Thanks for putting up with me and my lack of Knowledge!
McLizardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #2 
sielkirk90

welcome to the forum! everyone here is very nice and helpful. :)

I currently own a 2.5 heated and filtered tank. it requires 100% water changes every 4 days (or at the very least once a week).

To change your water, simply scoop your betta out (gently) with the cup he/she came in. Try to avoid using nets, as they can damage your betta's fins. Once the fish is out, you can remove the filter/heater and any decorations from the tank and rinse them off thoroughly in tap water. Dump the tank water and rinse it out as well, using a sponge or non-colored paper towel to wipe the sides and bottom of the tank. DO NOT use soap.
When everything is cleaned you can put it back in the tank. Fill it with water and make sure to condition the water and check the temperature before putting your betta back into it.

Good luck! let me know if you have any more questions :)
sielkirk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #3 
ForbiddenSecrets

When I had my 2.5 gallon and 3 gallon tanks running I used to do 50-60% ish changes twice a week [ every 3-4 days really]. One of them with gravel cleaning if I didn't have live plants at the time. I preferred this because I could keep the fish in the tank while I did the changes which stressed them out less and kept water params from swinging too fast. Also with live plants you don't want to be uprooting everything all the time.

Of course this works best if you keep up on it and there is always the chance that you should do a 100% if you are lazy about it. [Nothing wrong with the 100% method of course :D Its personal preference]

For my smaller tanks I just bought a cheap thing of the airline tubing [about 2 dollars here] and would siphon the water out into a bucket while I prepared the new water. The tube was also useful in targeting fish poop and ect. Then I would use a cup and gently pour the new water in.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #4 
McLizardman

Okay, thanks a lot for the responses! I plan on keeping a "bare bottom" tank for easier cleaning, and fake silk or soft plastic plants. Now, is it necessary to cycle your fish tank?

Last edited by McLizardman; 08-06-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #5 
ForbiddenSecrets

The problem with a 2.5 is that it's never going to /really/ hold a cycle properly because if it's size. It will get a kind of partial cycle going though which will help. Bettas do alright with the 'fish in' method as long as you aren't lazy about the water changes. c:
Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #6 
McLizardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForbiddenSecrets View Post
The problem with a 2.5 is that it's never going to /really/ hold a cycle properly because if it's size. It will get a kind of partial cycle going though which will help. Bettas do alright with the 'fish in' method as long as you aren't lazy about the water changes. c:
What is the "fish-in" method? Is that a way to cycle a tank? Sorry, I am like so new to all of this lol.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #7 
Neelie

hi! i made a tutorial a while ago. the link is in my sig

a 2.5G cannot be cycled. its way too small. and with a 2.5G i would also recommend full water changes rather than fish in because it doesnt get all the dirt/water out AND it stresses the fish too much imo.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #8 
ForbiddenSecrets

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

That will help you with the cycle info. But like I said a 2.5 will never actually hold a cycle properly. As for what way to change your tanks water whatever works best for you that is still healthy for your fish. c: Mine flipped out when I kept tanking them out of the tank so it was best when I did 100% like once a month.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #9 
McLizardman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
hi! i made a tutorial a while ago. the link is in my sig

a 2.5G cannot be cycled. its way too small. and with a 2.5G i would also recommend full water changes rather than fish in because it doesnt get all the dirt/water out AND it stresses the fish too much imo.
Thanks! I am now a little more confident about betta fish care. I really appreciate all the help.