Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #1 
SchBetta5123

Question IYO what's the minimum for a Betta

For me, the minimum for a Betta is 5 gallons filtered, heated, and cycled.

I will go no less then 5 gallons because when decorated or planted well, the tank actually looks pretty full if smaller than 5 gallons. I mean, I had a Betta in a 2.5 gallon before, then I had like 2 fake plants and it looked very cramped. He was just a regular crowntail also.

What is the minimum for you?
Cycled?
Heated?
Filtered?

I would like to know what every one else thinks about the minimum for a Betta fish.
SchBetta5123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #2 
Loralyn94

For me the minimum would probably be a 2.5, simply because most people want small as they can get and atleast that is a decent amount of room for the fish. I'd say heated is pretty much a minimum (that is if you actually want to see a happy fish) though filtered and cycled not necessarily. I'd also atleast 50% water changes weakly at least, though twice a week would be better in my opinion.

Granted i say my minimums thinking of what most people decide is good for a betta, so they may be a little more lax then most. Pretty much anything is better than the cup they come in in the store or the betta boxes that theyre often shoved in afterwards.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #3 
SchBetta5123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loralyn94 View Post
For me the minimum would probably be a 2.5, simply because most people want small as they can get and atleast that is a decent amount of room for the fish. I'd say heated is pretty much a minimum (that is if you actually want to see a happy fish) though filtered and cycled not necessarily. I'd also atleast 50% water changes weakly at least, though twice a week would be better in my opinion.

Granted i say my minimums thinking of what most people decide is good for a betta, so they may be a little more lax then most. Pretty much anything is better than the cup they come in in the store or the betta boxes that theyre often shoved in afterwards.
True. I just do not see why a filter is not minimum for most people though! Ammonia is building up so fast, and not to mention the nasty film you get on the water from being still. Unless you use a bubbler. And that is pretty much pointless for a Betta.

But why would you say that a filter is not *needed*. Not trying to be pushy or anything. Just wondering what other people are thinking.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #4 
Loralyn94

I say its not needed because if your keeping on top of your water changes and do a few more than would be nornally necessary it would help balance it out. That and unless the tank comes set up with a filter a lot of people dont want to spend the extra money to buy one or if they do they get the cheapest one they can find that just barely fits in the rating for the tank and only half works. Spending extra money on *just* a fish isnt something a lot of people want to do, so even with a filter they wont change the cartridges and wont buy one adequate to the tank.

Unfortunately for fish (Especially bettas because there fairly hardy and pretty and can survive in a betta box, just not happily) people arent always willing to give them what they need.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #5 
SchBetta5123

Quote:
I say its not needed because if your keeping on top of your water changes and do a few more than would be nornally necessary it would help balance it out. That and unless the tank comes set up with a filter a lot of people dont want to spend the extra money to buy one or if they do they get the cheapest one they can find that just barely fits in the rating for the tank and only half works. Spending extra money on *just* a fish isnt something a lot of people want to do, so even with a filter they wont change the cartridges and wont buy one adequate to the tank.

Unfortunately for fish (Especially bettas because there fairly hardy and pretty and can survive in a betta box, just not happily) people arent always willing to give them what they need.
Yeah. But you are not supposed to change the filter pads anyway :P Only rinse them off in tank water to clear up clogging.

Betta's are to hardy for their own good. Speaking of...is that a DT in your pic?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #6 
Loralyn94

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchBetta5123 View Post
Yeah. But you are not supposed to change the filter pads anyway :P Only rinse them off in tank water to clear up clogging.

Betta's are to hardy for their own good. Speaking of...is that a DT in your pic?
The filter in mine i believe your supposed to change ever couple of months (will have to recheck on that though haha).

The betta in my pic was sold as a half moon, but he could be a delta i'm often wondering which he really is. He had some biting issues and minor tail rot that he is still currently recovering from so its hard to tell.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #7 
SchBetta5123

Quote:
The filter in mine i believe your supposed to change ever couple of months (will have to recheck on that though haha).

The betta in my pic was sold as a half moon, but he could be a delta i'm often wondering which he really is. He had some biting issues and minor tail rot that he is still currently recovering from so its hard to tell.
I think you are only supposed to change them after you have another with bacteria in it. Like, put one behind the current pad and let it run for a bit. Hmm. Because if you change the filter, all the bacteria is gone. Oh well. Kind of confusing.

He even looks like a double. Is that what he is, or is that from biting the tail?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #8 
Loralyn94

Very confusing haha.

Nope, he's not a double that would be the first big chunk of his tail he took out. Now its grown back a lot more, the color is still gone though. I'm hoping it wont be to much longer until he starts to look normal again.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #9 
SchBetta5123

Quote:
Very confusing haha.

Nope, he's not a double that would be the first big chunk of his tail he took out. Now its grown back a lot more, the color is still gone though. I'm hoping it wont be to much longer until he starts to look normal again.
I see it now. I wonder why the pieces of the tail grow back clearish? Always wondered.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #10 
Loralyn94

Same here, it interesting. I'm hoping that they will, for the most part, regain color. I love his coloring, but have never seen what it truly looks like, just that its a mix of deep blue and purple with some dark red streaks.