Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #1 
LittleV

Purple "Salamander Giant". Is This Rare? (Pictures)

Hello, I'm new to the community! I bought a purple Giant ("King") with white variegated fins at Petco about a month ago. I originally wasn't going to purchase any fish that day since the new aquarium I was fabricating wasn't completely finished yet, but this big guy caught my eye so I bought him on impulse, lol.

So just yesterday I was reading on the net about Betta coloration, and purple kept coming up as being described as rare to very-rare. I also found out through my reading that the white variegated coloration is called "Salamander" in Betta terms. I ended up going on Aquabid.com to see if there were any of this coloration for sale, and sure enough there were 3 giant "purple-Salamanders" for sale, all ranging from $100-$120. They looked identical to my fish, and were the exact same size (2.5"-3").

So I'm curious, is this actually a rare color, or was I just lucky to find a really cool and friendly pal from Petco?

(Sorry, the images are probably grainy since they were just off of my iPhone)

This is the one that was valued at $120 on Aquabid

And this is my quy in regular room-light

And my guy with some sunlight

Thanks for any input!
LittleV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #2 
mjoy79

*Jaw drops*
so not fair. My petcos have never had giant HMPKs! I've been looking for one just like yours - mostly on aquabid since I've never seen them in the stores. I have looked at those auctions you're talking about but can't talk myself into spending $100+ on a fish that I wont be breeding. The only "kings" i've seen at Petco were dark green and not truly giants - not as big as a HMPK. I'm going to have to check out my Petcos to see if I'm missing out on something the last month or so.....

Just curious... does yours measure over 2 inches. Usually giants are over 2 inches, closer to 3 inches.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #3 
LittleV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
*Jaw drops*
so not fair. My petcos have never had giant HMPKs! I've been looking for one just like yours - mostly on aquabid since I've never seen them in the stores. I have looked at those auctions you're talking about but can't talk myself into spending $100+ on a fish that I wont be breeding. The only "kings" i've seen at Petco were dark green and not truly giants - not as big as a HMPK. I'm going to have to check out my Petcos to see if I'm missing out on something the last month or so.....

Just curious... does yours measure over 2 inches. Usually giants are over 2 inches, closer to 3 inches.
This one is 2.75"-3" I have another "King" that is light-blue with red fins and that strange gold/white chin that makes him look like a husky dog (That's the best way I can describe it, lol). He's 2.5".

Keep looking at Petco though, when I first started seeing "Kings" there they were all that very dark muddy color with no real variation. Just recently I've been seeing much lighter colored ones, but that's only right after they get a shipment in.

And yeah I agree, $100 is way too much for a fish. Especially one you can't see in person before buying and the shipping process is hard on them. I wouldn't want to spend that much money on a fish just to have it die soon after getting it
Old 10-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #4 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleV View Post
This one is 2.75"-3" I have another "King" that is light-blue with red fins and that strange gold/white chin that makes him look like a husky dog (That's the best way I can describe it, lol). He's 2.5".

Keep looking at Petco though, when I first started seeing "Kings" there they were all that very dark muddy color with no real variation. Just recently I've been seeing much lighter colored ones, but that's only right after they get a shipment in.

And yeah I agree, $100 is way too much for a fish. Especially one you can't see in person before buying and the shipping process is hard on them. I wouldn't want to spend that much money on a fish just to have it die soon after getting it
exactly. Do you happen to know what day shipments come in?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #5 
LittleV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
exactly. Do you happen to know what day shipments come in?
I actually asked them, they say there's no set day of the week for shipments unfortunately

They said it depends on demand. If they sell a lot one week, they will get another shipment. If sales are low, it will take longer. I would call and ask or check the store periodically to see if they are getting low. If they have very few fish, it's good to bet they will be getting another shipment in soon.

Last edited by LittleV; 10-05-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #6 
mjoy79

aw ok. I suddenly have the urge to check now :)
Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #7 
Leeniex

Incredible find!
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #8 
Namazzi

I don't know. But wow. He's so pretty! I'm jealous XD
Namazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #9 
LittleV

Thank you! He's a very sweet and personable guy, which is not what I would originally think a giant would be like. I always imagined them as slow lumbering guys, but I guess I was wrong. He's almost to the point of being hyperactive.

So I guess my question is, are these Purple Salamander Giants on Aquabid that are $100 and over overpriced, or did I actually find something that might be somewhat rare or at least not the norm? I just thought he was striking and pretty, I didn't know there was actually a specific name for his type of coloration.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #10 
MaggieLynn

Where do you live i want to go to your petco lol! I do agree sometimes you can find very pretty boys at petco if you look, when ever we go there I always look.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote