Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
Sarahlydear

Film on top of water

Hello. :)
So I have sand in 3 of my tanks and all of them have gotten a clear film over the top and when I try to take it off it turns into small white particles that are impossible to catch. I want to start a planted aquarium so I was looking at keeping sand but if it going to be doing this...My filter broke so none have one, I used to switch it between the tanks.
I plan on doing a lot more research on planted tanks later today but I thought I'd ask about this now since it's happening now and since bettas need surface space to breath....
Thanks.
Sarahlydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #2 
fightergirl2710

Its normal, it usually happens in unfiltered tanks, don't worry it wont harm the fishies.. Btw do you rake the sand once in a while?
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #3 
Sarahlydear

Thanks for the info! I was getting a little worried...
One tank has trumpet snails in it so no but the other one yes and my last one is a mixture of gravel and sand and currently has no fish in it. It is cycling and so I've been leaving it alone until I'm ready to add more stuff and fish to it.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 
fishman12

You still need to stir it.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

A little stirring wont hurt :D But the film is definitely normal :)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #6 
Sarahlydear

Alright, I can do that, I just read that if there are snails, especially trumpet, then they will stir and move it around for you. No biggie though. I'm doing a water change today so I'll just add that to the routine.
Will I need to do that in my planted tank? Even though I'll have both live plants and trumpet snails?
Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #7 
fightergirl2710

I doubt it, live plants help :)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #8 
fishman12

Yes, but trumpet snails are a HUGE help!
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #9 
TonyK

What size tanks and how many trumpet snails do yoy have? I have a divided 10 gallon with 2 trumpets on each side. I am thinking of adding more but don't want to push it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahlydear View Post
Thanks for the info! I was getting a little worried...
One tank has trumpet snails in it so no but the other one yes and my last one is a mixture of gravel and sand and currently has no fish in it. It is cycling and so I've been leaving it alone until I'm ready to add more stuff and fish to it.
TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 PM   #10 
Sarahlydear

Right now I have a 5gal and I put 8trumpet snails in there a few weeks ago so who knows how many I have now. I also have a ramshorn snail in there that just laid 3 eggs but 2 disappeared so I put the last one in a small jar that I'm floating to keep it warm. I plan on moving everyone into a divided 10gal tank as soon as it's done cycling.
You probably have more trumpets by now...we are thinking of the same snails right? Small guys that hide during the day?
My step-dad can't believe that I'm intentionally keeping them :P He over feeds and had a major population issue and now HATES them. I love my ramshorn as much as my betta though. :)