Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #1 
Byte

Angry Unessacary or Incorrect Treatment

So you may remember me from a while back,

Long story short a few ladies on DeviantArt were adamant that my Betta had fin rot after I posted a picture. I tried to explain it was just shadow but they managed to finally scare me into believing he had fin rot. I came here and asked opinions and got mixed signals so took the advice of some and treated him by doing an aquarium salt treatment routine and adding an Indian Almond leaf

This is what he looked like when accused of fin rot:

This is what he looks like after treatment for fin rot:

His poor tattered tail and curly fins... I can't say I'm not just a tad annoyed at those who told me he was sick when in all honesty he looked fine and now I'm left with a battle-damaged looking fish that somehow still has the greatest attitude and personality I could ask for

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80F - 82F
Does your tank have a filter? No, tried one but had no effect
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food (pellets) and occasionally NUTRAFIN MAX Flakes with Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 6 Days a week, 1 day resting period

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% every week (as recommended here)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 6
pH: 6.5
Hardness: Soft
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Tail and fins have curled and become tattered
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? After I was told to treat him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt treatment routine
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown

I just don't know what to do, maybe I just needed to moan about it

Last edited by Byte; 08-10-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #2 
Luimeril

IAL doesn't hurt fins at all. in fact, it helps fins grow better. it was probably the difference in water hardness before and after treatment. CTs fins are pretty bad about curling up with hardness changes. x:

as long as he's healthy, and acting normal, i don't think it's anything to worry about. my own CT, Zidane, has the curliest fins i've ever seen on a healthy CT, but it's fine. gives him charm, imo. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #3 
Byte

Well, thank you. It does add character but his fins were beautiful before too. The hardness of the water has never changed
Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #4 
doggyhog

Sometimes over time a CT's fins will do that in hard water. Doesn't matter if the hardness of the water hasn't changed.

I am sorry if someone on this forum gave you "Incorrect" information, but you have to understand that you will often get mixed opinions on a public forum such as this. AQ. salt and IALs will not hurt your betta also. I would highly recommend keeping IAL in with your CT all the time. :) Good luck and your fish is beautiful!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

I just wanted to say, he's beautiful. My new boy has fins that are a bit tattered as well, after sickness. He's very similar to your boy.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #6 
Byte

Thank you guys. I appreciate the kind words

The people in question acted as if they were Betta snobs really and "they knew best". Obviously not and more fool me for believing them too

Never ever had a problem with hard water, as some of you say could be a factor. Always been soft. Confuzzling really
Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #7 
Luimeril

CTs and HMs are just... sensitive to water quality, i guess. we can't keep CT fins straight, for whatever reason, even with perfect water. Zidane's curls, my brother's CT's fins used to melt, my mom's CT's fins did a little of both.... only my niece's CT, King Steve, has nearly perfect fins.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:18 AM   #8 
Byte

Thank you, I mean gosh. I got so wound up and worried about the whole ordeal when it first arose and no-one bothered to point out these facts to me then

Good. I'll be happy with my melted, curly, battle-damaged boy
Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #9 
Luimeril

that's how i am about Zidane. i freaked out about it at first, but it's just who he is. he's my shy, tough-acting, curly finned bubble nest master. >w<
Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #10 
Byte

My guy is definitely an attention seeking flirt. Whenever anyone walks into the room he has to start showing off, swimming around like crazy and wiggling his bottom like there's no tomorrow. He also likes to perform a few jumps for you! Brilliant nest builder too, I didn't think I'd ever experience that up until a few months after having him. One day I awoke to a huge cloud of bubbles, beautiful!