Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #1 
smellsfishie

Dropsy in 3 way divided betta tank

Hi. I have a 10 gallon tank, divided 3 ways. 3 male bettas. Today, one of them is showing signs of dropsy (very bloated, with raised scales) and looks of death. He was acting sluggish for a few days but looked fine other than his belly was looking fatter (obviously the build up of fluids)... so a few questions. From what I read, dropsy is fatal... so, at this point, I have already added meds to the tank and left all 3 fish in. I wanted to medicate them all incase the bacteria was going to get to the other 2 and cause them to become sick. So, i don't want to remove the sick guy (Apache) from the tank because I want him to get the medicine, and also I don't have a way to heat a QT tank for him so he will go from 80 degrees to about 74 overnight. BUT, if I leave him in am I putting the others more at risk? Should I euthanize at this point? Is there even a chance he will survive if I try to medicate? And if I euthanize, then should I keep medicating the other 2 since i started it already?? Any help from EXPERIENCED fish keepers would be awesome. Thanks.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #2 
smellsfishie

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 other bettas

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Pellets, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen beefheart
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every week-2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Depends on the last time I changed it... usually 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat, Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: Good
Nitrate: Good
pH: High like 8?
Hardness: Soft.
Alkalinity: high.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has dropsy. Pineconing.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Listless, not eating, hiding in his betta log
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago listless, today pineconed
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, I put in 2 packets of maracyn 2
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe... just under a year old?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #3 
bahamut285

I'm sorry to hear one of your fish has dropsy. However, dropsy is actually a SYMPTOM of an underlying bacterial infection. I recommend quarantining him IMMEDIATELY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 
smellsfishie

i euthanized last night.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #5 
Sakura8

How are the other two acting? Are they acting normally? I'm reluctant to treat them with a medicine as strong as Maracyn-II if nothing is wrong. One thing you can do is soak their food in garlic juice. Garlic is a major immune system booster. If you can find Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets, get them. If you want to try and head off any bacterial infection, using the medicated pellets is a better way. If they have something wrong with them, it will treat it but if they don't, the dosage isn't as strong as Maracyn-II.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote