Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 AM   #11 
youlovegnats

Out here we have GIANT darkling beetles and rover beetles. >< What I HATE though are Click Beetles UGH. >_<; I took Entomology for 2 years and I still dislike a lot of bugs...Especially Stinging insects and flys....O-o
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #12 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

youlovegnats,

When I was in Louisiana, I nearly step on a scorpion... ON MY KITCHEN FLOOR.

I was a first-time mother down there, and was nearly out of my mind because of the insects... especially the cockroaches, who ran over use while we slept...

Nevertheless, I love bugs. The nasty ones I like to admire from a distance... about 1000 miles away suits me just fine!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #13 
youlovegnats

xD yeah...I like bugs- as long as they aren't in satanic swarms or inside my house. I don't mind them when they're outside -> WHERE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE! D:
buutt yesss <3 bugs.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #14 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

OOOOoooo, speaking of Satanic swarms....

In my parent's old house in NH (just after I returned - with my oldest daughter from Louisiana, in fact), we had this freaky occurrence:

I have just laid my infant daughter down for a nap, in the living room. As I sat there, I notice a couple of what looked like flying ants on the carpet. I got rid of them. There were more. I followed were I had seen them come from.

To my horror, a massive column of flying ants were marching out of the forced-hot-air vent and across the living room - and towards the next air vent!

I grabbed my mother, who got the vacuum cleaner and tried to suck them up. That just made them mad... and they started flying all around. I grabbed my daughter and got out of there!

Hmmmm... I seem to attract odd bug encounters....
Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #15 
youlovegnats

OMG! O__O I would have called Orken right then and there. Jeez! I'm glad eveyone got out! >_< Ants stings & bites huurrrttt.

There's this HUGE mob of ants by the back of the house I'm in (which is right where I park my car). So every time I get out/in my car I end up stepping all over them and making them swarm! >_< GAAAAHHH
Old 08-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #16 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Y'all must have fire ants too... they are scary, to see them boil out of the ground! And once you've been bit, you never forget. They are the buggy equivalent of unbridled anger...

Up here in NH we have giant carpenter ants that are very pinchy and make loud crunching noises if you step on them... and earwigs. I hate earwigs, more than spiders... they are rumored to crawl into your ear canal and eat your brain... I doubt the brain eating part... but I'm pretty such they would crawl into your ear and make you crazed! I found an ear wig on my pillow one night when I turned on the light... My fiance had to spend most of the night looking for the bug and calming me down, lol...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #17 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Fishy Fishy Fishy View Post
Y'all must have fire ants too... they are scary, to see them boil out of the ground! And once you've been bit, you never forget. They are the buggy equivalent of unbridled anger...

Up here in NH we have giant carpenter ants that are very pinchy and make loud crunching noises if you step on them... and earwigs. I hate earwigs, more than spiders... they are rumored to crawl into your ear canal and eat your brain... I doubt the brain eating part... but I'm pretty such they would crawl into your ear and make you crazed! I found an ear wig on my pillow one night when I turned on the light... My fiance had to spend most of the night looking for the bug and calming me down, lol...
I love earwigs! They would crawl into your ear, but other insects will as well, so they aren't bad to have around. they got their name from the fact that their wings look like ears when spread. Was that beetle you found one of the species i mentioned?
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #18 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybetta View Post
Did it have any horns or large mandibles? My first thoughts would be lucanus elephas or dynastes tityus (Well hydrated adults can be mostly black), so you should check out those. Who knows, it could have been a new or understudied species. The majority of beetles aren't studied very well, and most people can find a new species in a week or two.
I've ruled out the lucanus elephas; it looks too pinchy and too elongated. My memory of the beetle was that it's roundness corresponded the palm of my daughter's hand. It was jet black as well.

dynastes tityus would be my guess. The beetle was jet black. The environment would be dead-on - wet forest with decaying logs describes the entire town we lived in. Looks like they've increased their range... we lived in SE NH at the time...
Old 08-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #19 
shinybetta

Hmm, what exactly did the horns look like?
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #20 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Well, I don't quite remember exactly... I remember thinking that he looked like something you'd see on National Geographic, doing a show on African bugs. I think it might have been a female, though... I wish we'd taken a picture of it!

I don't think I would have been calm letting my little daughter carry it around if it was ultra pinchy looking... (don't like pinchy looking insects, as you may have gathered)!

Crawl, crawl, crawl, pinch, pinch, pinch (run, run, run)!