Betta Fish Forum banner

Local Petco carrying Hydor small bowl heaters in two sizes!

792 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Here Fishy Fishy Fishy 
#1 ·
Amazingly, they put them right next to the small bowls!

They also had a good supply of bugs.

Unfortunately, their betta fish were in distress.... 75% looked like they were knockin' on heaven's door. :(

The other 25% were extremely small fish. I mean really, really small. Like 'runt of the runts' small.

The living things are the most important things in the store. I'm glad they finally are stocking good small heaters, but.... argh!

*rant over, contemplating writing a letter to the manager*

#3 ·
I don't have a Petco where I live, but I did check out the website. I'm looking for tanks, and they actually have a tab for Betta's under tank.. I'm still looking to double check, but apparently for Betta fish, they find that only 2-3 2.5 gallon tanks are appropriate, and anything smaller, especially 0.5 gallon bowls, are riddled in abundance. I think the site should also get complaints as well >.>

#4 ·
Update:

That Hydor heater I bought for my QT tank rose to 95F while I slept.
In the morning, my poor little cello HM was DEAD.

I've returned the heater and gotten my money back. Of course, that doesn't replace the fish.

And the store manager I spoke to... was an idiot.
"Bettas don't need heat anyway...." he said. I corrected him and moved on.

A letter to corporate is overdue... time to get writing...

#5 ·
Oh yeah, I almost forgot -

You are better off with a heater that is adjustable, and maybe a larger QT.
I bought a 50Watt adjustable heater at another pet store. I would have preferred a 25watt adjustable. If I can't get it to go low enough in my current QT, I'm upgrading to a 2.5 gallon QT w/cover.

I'm never trusting another non-adjustable heater ever again (and just barely trust the heaters I have now)!

Another point: never set up a small tank and heater (even if it's one you've used before) at bedtime. You'll want to be able to eyeball the temp every hour or so for about half a day, to be sure it's ok...

#7 ·
Thank you, DQ. :)

+++++++++++++++

I did get an adjustable Top Fin 50watt heater for the QT tank and it tested very successfully.

It's always sad to lose a fish... but when it dies a preventable death, that's the saddest of all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.