Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #1 
Yaoilover12397

Advice on Accessories?

This is my tank. It's a 29 Gallon Oceanic BioCube. I still have the airstone but turned off the bubble wand.

Can anyone reccomend some more fake plants or decorations with links to the product? I just have the mask and plant in it now..

As of now my tank will hopefully by Saturday have 3-4 Cories, a Pleco, a Marimo, a cherry shrimp or two, a mystery snail or two and a Betta.
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #2 
Loralyn94

This is completely unrelated, but I'm just wondering, What type of pleco are you getting? I have an odd love for them for some reason haha.

As far as excessories go a lot of people like betta logs: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3956162

You should also add some caves for him to hide in, I like terracotta pots because there cheap and i just really like the way they look.

For plants you want to make sure they're arent any sharp parts on them so a lot of people reccomend silk or fabric if you dont want to do live plants. (which i cant find a good picture of, my normal LPS Doesnt sell them)

At the moment thats all I can think of, but anything else that comes to mind i'll post. Also your betta may or may not like the bubbler, it just depends on how strong it is. You can get gang valves though to control the amount of bubbles or a bobby pin works well too.

PEople also use these for their bettas to sleep on, though i;d be careful because there have been a few reports of the wire impaling fish, though many people just take out the wire: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4055997
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #3 
Yaoilover12397

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to find these in my shop.

I don;t know the type of Pleco. My pet shop guy just told me it was a Pleco.

It looks liek this one.
http://www.fishforever.co.uk/images/ancistrus.jpg
Old 08-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #4 
Loralyn94

It looks like a common, definitely not a clown so you may run into issues with it getting too big for your tank as they can get up to 1-2 feet, so eventually you will need to upgrade it to a bigger tank. Also be advised, they poop A LOT and put a pretty big strain on your bioload.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #5 
Yaoilover12397

Do they? My pet shop guy lied...he said they got to be 2-4 inches and I called back when I found out and he said they take them back when they get too big...How big of a strain? to be honest I got him to be an algae sucker. To help keep the tank cleaner and because the guy and my mom thought that it would be a good idea.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #6 
Loralyn94

Not huge I dont think, but you may just have to do a few more water changes them normal, well in your tank they'd just be more frequently. You could always see if anywhere around you sells clown plecos, they are between 4-6 inches max, I'm planning to get one for my 10 gallon.
Clown Pleco's have stripes and look like this: http://www.petfish.net/pix/clown_pleco1.jpg

And if your just wanting them for algea control then your snails and ghost shrimp will help keep it under control. In my 5g I have one mystery snail and no algea. :)
Old 08-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #7 
Yaoilover12397

Mhm. I plan to keep Nom-Nom till he gets too big for the tank which I plan to look up. Then I'll go and sadly bring him back to my pet store. Although I'd like to ask what they do with them before I do it. I feel like its to late to bring him back.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 AM   #8 
Loralyn94

Well if your worried about him having some bad fate, you could always post on like craigslist or somewhere that your wanting to get rid of one and see if anybody wants one. There are probably people that have bigger fish and want a pleco, but can't put one of the small ones that are normally sold.
Though if you put it on somewhere like that, put it for a small fee, it helps to weed out anyone who just wants it for bad reasons.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #9 
Yaoilover12397

Ah, I don't think my parents will allow me to use Craigs list. I doubt there doing anything bad. I'd just like to know to be sure. I worry and I'm already rather attatched to Nom-Nom.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #10 
Loralyn94

True, well you could always do a more local thing. And I understand your wanting to be cautious, I would be too, its always good to check :)