Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
Orsini

Buster's had a rough day!

Buster, my new Betta, has had quite a rough day. The poor guy wound up cutting his top fin in half on a decoration (now all rounded) and nearly killed himself by swimming up behind the filter and getting stuck. If I hadn't have had a weird feeling and went to check on him, who knows! I've since blocked off the entrance to get behind the filter too.

Anyways, is there anything I can do to help his fin regrow? or will it do it on its own over time?
Orsini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #2 
gbose

Orsini,

I'm no expert -- have kept fish for slightly under a year now -- butI believe fresh water is the best medicine. So lots of water changes. Don't forget dechlorinator!

Good luck!

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

If you use the API coat conditionor plus, it will help repair fin damage, but you will need too water changes, wait to se what other memers have to say though...
and if you could post pictures of him that would help
:) congrats on the new betta!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #4 
Orsini

Here's a pic. Also, some of the ends of his top fin sorta curl.. don't look like the others.. wondering what that's all about too.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

The fins normally curl when they have been in a high concentrate of ammonia... you may want to put him in a 1gallon bowl with 1 tsp of aquarium salt and do 100% water changes daily without fail, at least for one week
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #6 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
The fins normally curl when they have been in a high concentrate of ammonia... you may want to put him in a 1gallon bowl with 1 tsp of aquarium salt and do 100% water changes daily without fail, at least for one week
i agree, aquarium salt helps promote fin growth and it's also a good idea to add some stress coat, if you can get some. you can either decide to put him in a 1 gallon bowl, or in the cup he came in to make 100% daily water changes easier.

don't use the aquarium salt for more than ten days.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #7 
Orsini

A little background, I recently rescued him from PetSmart in 8.0ppm Ammonia, no joke. I check the ammonia levels in this tank every other day and do water changes 3 times a week. The tank has no ammonia in it now. The damage is from before
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #8 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsini View Post
A little background, I recently rescued him from PetSmart in 8.0ppm Ammonia, no joke. I check the ammonia levels in this tank every other day and do water changes 3 times a week. The tank has no ammonia in it now. The damage is from before
dang, 8.0 ppm? crazy. but it'd still be a good idea to do the AQ salt and stress coat to help fin regrowth. (:
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote