Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #1 
kimmy2100

Cycling confusion. Please help

Hi. I need some help with cycling my aquariums. I am not sure what I should do. I had two 10 gallon aquariums set up for around 3 months and then I moved. I brought water from one of the aquariums with me and left some water in the aquariums to keep the gravel wet and almost emptied the other one. The aquarium that I brought the water with has water parameters of
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate : 5.0 ppm
pH : 7.6
High range pH: 7.4
The one that I emptied has water parameters:
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm
Ph: 7.0
High range pH: 7.8
This morning one of my bettas in this aquarium had a frayed tail. The tap water here has ammonia at 1 ppm. I have only had these aquariums set up for a couple of days and I have 2 betta fish in each with dividers. These two aquariums are filtered and have heaters that keep the water at 76 degrees. I use prime water conditioner. What should I do about the nitrite reading? If I change the water I will just be adding more ammonia to the tank. Should I take the fish out of that aquarium? I have another 10 gallon aquarium with a betta fish without a filter. I just plan on doing 100% water changes in that one every week. Itís showing up as 1ppm ammonia (tap water), nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 7.0, high range ph 7.8. Should I move one of the fish to the cycled aquarium and one to the one without a filter? Does prime only detoxify ammonia for 24 hours? I am confused about that. I am adding two drops per gallon. Is that enough for the amount of chloramine in the tap water? I am really confused and would really appreciate some help. I want to do things right. I just got the Freshwater master testing kit yesterday. Before I only had the ammonia testing kit.I have been learning as I go along and I have been trying really hard to improve how I take care of my fish. I have read about the different ways of cycling and I know now that I should have cycled it before I put the fish in but I am not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for your help
kimmy2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Good that you are using Prime...especially with ammonia in the tap water....Prime binds with the ammonia on contact and changes it to ammonium a safe form and the test kit can't tell the difference and once the biofilter kicks in- it will remove the ammonium and your test should then read 0ppm ammonia.......Keep making the water changes like you normally do....go to the Prime website and it will explain it better and in more detail.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote