Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #1 
Bettas143

Question HMPKs at Petsmart?

I've been hearing about them in Petsmart........I already have a planted 10 gallon tank waiting for the special one but q HM was going to be in there but then I heard about the HMPKs in petsmart..

How Much are they in Petsmart? This will be my first planted tank and its been cycling for 2 and a half days.....Im going to put some Minnows in there just to see if they will survive. I did put soil on the bottom but I washed it real well and the tank is now clear....I have a snail it there that is still alive but Imgoing to try a fish if it survives. So yeah I just wanted to know how much are they in Petsmart and If i get my camera fixed ill put some pictures on and Ill be adding more plants!
Bettas143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #2 
JKfish

Don't do that D: . Instead of buying fish to see if they'll live, get an ammonia tester. Walmart sells a good quality water test kit (API Master Test Kit) for all of 20 dollars. It will last a year (easily), and will tell you if your tank is cycled (0 ammonia and nitrites with visible nitrates), and/or if it is ready for your fish.

it also doesn't sound like you truly cycled it, because fishless cycles typically take about a few weeks to a month, especially if not seeded. What sort of planted tank are you attempting? If it is an NPT, and you are using soil, be sure you used one without any fertlizers and that you topped it with sand. If it's just a tank with a few plants, then a substrate meant for plants like eco-complete or flourite will do the trick.

Petsmart sells them for about 8 dollars, though I'm not sure if all petsmarts have them (Mine just got them last wednesday).

Last edited by JKfish; 08-06-2011 at 08:24 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #3 
Bettas143

In that case I need to buy the kit and maybe I have to re-set up my tank, i have small gravel, their smaller that your pinky's nail......I might look for sand then i guess....I need to call petsmart to see if they have them in.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #4 
JKfish

play sand would cap your soil well, you'd only need about an inch. :) NPTS can be tricky from what I've heard, but so long as you start out with the right lights, the right soil, and practically stuff the tank with fast growing plants and floaters, they (apparently) turn out really well.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #5 
Bettas143

Play Sand? I thought they were bad for your tanks.\....
Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #6 
BetterBetta

Nah, its often used as a substrate. I thought about it for a while, but stayed on gravel
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #7 
Bettas143

Ohh thanks.... I was at this site and it said they were bad......Imma redo my tank now
Old 08-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #8 
Bettas143

Will sand with little rocks work? The rocks are about the same size of a betta's eye? It's not fine sand but I hope it works....Its Multi- Purpose.....
Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #9 
JKfish

that'll be fine. Just rinse super well~ If you need more in detail help with natural planted tanks, you should go ask OldFishlady for some help :) she's got a lot of experience setting up those sort of tanks
Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #10 
Bettas143

Thanks for the Help! Im gonna post some pictures when I get my camera fixed!