Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #1 
TinaMaxis

Is it ok to not add water conditioner?

I feel like that's a stupid question. I know I should add it every water change, but right now I've got a male that I'm keeping in a one gallon bowl. :( I can't get anything bigger until September.. and I've got one more water conditioning tablet left and I need that for my ten gallon's water change. So the problem is I can't keep buying water conditioner because I don't have a car to get to the pet store whenever I need, so I don't know when I'll be able to get some more as the nearest Petco will be over an hour and a half on the bus. I'm changing my male's water every day, all of it, and I don't know what to do, because today I didn't add water conditioner. Is it ok? Will he be ok until next month if I can't get any more?
TinaMaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #2 
Kytkattin

No. Without conditioning the water he will start (if he hasn't already) to get burns from the chlorine and other "problems" in the water. If you wait a month he probably won't make it. It probably won't last a week.

You have to buy food, right? See if they have something at your local supermarket.

When you do finally make it to the petstore, buy Prime. It will cost about the same as the other dechlorinators but it lasts for a really long time since you only need 2 drops on a 1 gallon tank.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #3 
TinaMaxis

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can work something out. I've been using half the conditioning tablets before because I'd use a whole one on my ten gallon, so I figured a one gallon wouldn't need a whole one. So I'll just use half of the one I've got left and try to pick something up when I can.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:56 AM   #4 
Kytkattin

The other thing I just thought of would be to use some sort of bottled water. You can get bottled water anywhere. However, wait until someone else posts to suggest what you should buy. I am not sure which bottled water is safe for fish. Some of them don't have the right minerals for the fish.

With that being said, it would probably be cheaper for you to find some other way to condition the water.

Oh, and depending on your level or chlorine in the water, you could possibly just leave the water out overnight (or maybe 2 days, just do a water change every 2 days) and enough of the chlorine should evaporate to make it safe. This might not be the case if your tap has chloramines... As in, if it does it would not work to leave it out.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #5 
Silverfang

is there a walmart near by? As bad as they are for their treatment of bettas, they do sell dechlorinator. I've also seen some at the supermarket, just search every where that has a pet section, I'm sure you can find some kind of dechlorinator.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #6 
SmokeNLark

I agree that supermarkets have it. Don't buy tabs. They don't last long. Liquid ones last soo much longer.

Don't buy bottled water for them. Some have a lack of nutrients for them and possibly more chemicals. Sitting water out over night does help, but it does not get rid of all the bad stuff by any means, and isn't necessary when you have a declorinator. Declorinator also gets rid of other heavy metals, so letting the water sit is NOT enough.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #7 
TinaMaxis

Ok, thanks guys. There actually is a Walmart nearby, luckily they've never sold Betta's there, but I could go and see if they've got dechlorinators. :)
Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #8 
TinaMaxis

So I my sister took me to Target today! I bought TetraAqua water conditioner, it's seven drops per gallon, but that's ok, I'll just get a better kind when I run out.

So I've got another problem, I hope it's ok that I don't start a new thread for this question. The tank. Right now my boy, Nightcrawler, is in a one gallon bowl, I want to buy something that's still small like 3 gallons, but everything small is so expensive! At target there was a 1.5 gallon container for $22 something! And I was looking online at Petco and they have a 2.5 gallon for $33, and all the one gallons are at least $15. It's really annoying, because I got my ten gallon for only ten dollars, so I don't understand why the smaller tanks cost more than the bigger tanks. I don't want to put another ten gallon tank in my room, I don't know what to do. I went to Michaels art store, and they had this big glass bowl for around $16, it looked like it was maybe 2 and a half gallons. Maybe I'll look at Walmart or Petsmart. Any suggestions for cheap tanks? Should I look for a use one, maybe?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #9 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMaxis View Post
So I my sister took me to Target today! I bought TetraAqua water conditioner, it's seven drops per gallon, but that's ok, I'll just get a better kind when I run out.

So I've got another problem, I hope it's ok that I don't start a new thread for this question. The tank. Right now my boy, Nightcrawler, is in a one gallon bowl, I want to buy something that's still small like 3 gallons, but everything small is so expensive! At target there was a 1.5 gallon container for $22 something! And I was looking online at Petco and they have a 2.5 gallon for $33, and all the one gallons are at least $15. It's really annoying, because I got my ten gallon for only ten dollars, so I don't understand why the smaller tanks cost more than the bigger tanks. I don't want to put another ten gallon tank in my room, I don't know what to do. I went to Michaels art store, and they had this big glass bowl for around $16, it looked like it was maybe 2 and a half gallons. Maybe I'll look at Walmart or Petsmart. Any suggestions for cheap tanks? Should I look for a use one, maybe?
I got a 3 gallon critter keeper for around 11 dollars at petco..I think they make nice betta homes...and 3 gallons is a nice size.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #10 
Loralyn94

I seen a lot of people suggesting kritter keepers as good cheap tanks. I'm not sure exactly what prices are but i believe theres a 3 gallon one thats like $12-$15. Also try looking on ebay or craigslist, sometimes you can find pretty good deals on tanks there. I'm not sure what type of second hand stores you have there, but i'd try them, you never know what you could find there :)
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote