Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #1 
HDHemingway

Unhappy Half moon seems to have many things wrong with him...

My half moon betta, Mongetsu seems to be a very sick fish lately. I rescued him from petco despite his cloudy and now have come here in fear of what might be his final days.
He is in a two gallon bowl with temperatures between 70-80 degrees. He has no filter but has an air stoneset in the middle. It isn't heated because the room hot enough these day that we fear he might over heat. He lives alone.
Right now he refuses to eat everything but brine shrimp. Though today he has refused everything offerd to him. He is fed three times a day sometimes he is fed a small snack.
Half his water is changed once a week with all of it changed once a month. we put in dechlorinator and ph balance though he was given stress coat today as he seems sick.
We havent tested his water yet.
His symptoms are:
one cloudy eye that he has had since we got him.
won't eat
just lays at the bottom of his bowl
his body seems a bit paler even though he is kept in the same light level everyday and the light is fairly bright.
He has always been lazy but not this lazy like I said, he just lays there unless the bubble get to close to him.
I noticed the cloudy eye as soon as I saw him, we got him so we could treat it. Other symptoms started early this morning.
We havent given him anything yet though his water look all kinds of nasty (as in gunk) so we rinsed everything and change all his water.

Last edited by HDHemingway; 08-07-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Didn't finish my question when it had posted.
HDHemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

I'm no expert but I think part of the problem may be that he isnt getting enough water changes. In smaller tanks, ammonia builds up fast and can make a fish sick. I've been told non filtered tanks need one 50% and one 100% change every week.

Like I said I am no expert and I dont want to give wrong advice but if it were me, I would do a 100% water change, add the stress coat and slowly acclimate him to the new water by floating him in a cup and adding some of the new water into his cup every few minutes.

I'm not sure about how to get him to eat though. How much do you feed him at each time? maybe he is getting fed to much??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #3 
HDHemingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDHemingway View Post
My half moon betta, Mongetsu seems to be a very sick fish lately. I rescued him from petco despite his cloudy and now have come here in fear of what might be his final days.
He is in a two gallon bowl with temperatures between 70-80 degrees. He has no filter but has an air stoneset in the middle. It isn't heated because the room hot enough these day that we fear he might over heat. He lives alone.
Right now he refuses to eat everything but brine shrimp. Though today he has refused everything offerd to him. He is fed three times a day sometimes he is fed a small snack.
Half his water is changed once a week with all of it changed once a month. we put in dechlorinator and ph balance though he was given stress coat today as he seems sick.
We havent tested his water yet.
His symptoms are:
one cloudy eye that he has had since we got him.
won't eat
just lays at the bottom of his bowl
his body seems a bit paler even though he is kept in the same light level everyday and the light is fairly bright.
He has always been lazy but not this lazy like I said, he just lays there unless the bubble get to close to him.
I noticed the cloudy eye as soon as I saw him, we got him so we could treat it. Other symptoms started early this morning.
We havent given him anything yet though his water look all kinds of nasty (as in gunk) so we rinsed everything and change all his water.
The brine shrimp come in cubes that are maybe about 1/2 and inch. each time I feed him he is given a little less then 1/4 which looks like it contains five or six shrimps. The brand is Omega one.
HDHemingway is offline   Reply With Quote