Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #1 
hmckin20

uh... is this normal?

so i've been feeding Demi, my female VT, an assortment of things to see if she liked them. i thought she was just being a picky eater, spitting everything back out and letting it float to the bottom (a pain in the butt!), but i've caught her going down and picking it off the gravel. she seems completely healthy/happy, vertical stripes, swimming around, visually okay etc.
hmckin20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #2 
Myates

Fish spit out food because it is too large for them to take in and swallow whole. So they suck it in, chomp down to break it, spit it out, then go after smaller pieces. It is very normal. :)

The things that is important to consider for Betta fish feeding is that there must not be overfeeding. Overfeeding causes many diseases and swimming problems for Bettas.
Proper feeding practices are a matter of habit. They require some amount of patience, observation and consideration. Understanding your fish helps a lot when you feed them. The type of food, the culture conditions and the individual fish will all affect the quantity of food you should provide. In nature, there may be times when an adult fish starves for a day or two, or even for longer periods of time. The younger fish need more frequent feedings than the older ones. The fry have their own feeding needs.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote