Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #1 
EverythingNice55

Wink Once A Day?

Hi! OK, so do I ONLY feed my betta ONCE a day? He's a big eater, and I feel that I should feed him more than once a day? Would that be alright, or no? He could eat like seven or eight flakes a day!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #2 
JKfish

You should feed your betta twice a day, 2-3 pellets per feeding. Feeding flakes is a bit tricky, because it's harder to determine how much to feed due to the fact different flakes can be different sizes. :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #3 
CrowntailTwitchy57

whatever you do, don't listen to the stupid instructions on the food label telling you to feed it until it stops eating, my betta would eat the whole darn thing before stopping!
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #4 
Runsnoopy

What is the right amount and times to feed bettas? I heard once every other day, once a week to twice a day. We're getting ready to go out of town for a week, can you leave enough pellets in the tank for the week!
Runsnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #5 
Neil D

Bettas can go 2 weeks without food, they'll be fine. Feed 2-3 pellets twice a day once in the morn, once in the evening.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #6 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runsnoopy View Post
What is the right amount and times to feed bettas? I heard once every other day, once a week to twice a day. We're getting ready to go out of town for a week, can you leave enough pellets in the tank for the week!

the best i've heard is to give them 2-4 pellets a day, and a varied diet is good. besides pellets, you can feed them frozen bloodworms or live mosquitoes. it all depends on what you prefer. only feed frozen bloodworms and live bugs as snacks, maybe twice a week. you can also fast them for one day a week to prevent them from being bloated.

if you go out of town for a week, you can decide to either not feed them or leave a feeding block that's appropriate for one week. either is fine.

DO NOT leave a week's worth of pellets in the tank. your betta will probably eat them all in ten minutes (which it can die from because of overfeeding), or most of them will sink and make your tank dirty.

Last edited by audjree; 08-06-2011 at 09:44 PM.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #7 
JKfish

D: Do not leave a feeding block in there either. Feeding blocks don't work with bettas, and tend to leave you with a messy tank and potentially sick fish once you get back.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #8 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
D: Do not leave a feeding block in there either. Feeding blocks don't work with bettas, and tend to leave you with a messy tank and potentially sick fish once you get back.
i've never had experience using a feeding block, but from what i've heard, it depends on which one you get. but now since you've said that, i don't think i'll ever use one now.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #9 
EverythingNice55

Thanks, everybody! That was very helpful!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #10 
SmokeNLark

All feeding blocks have a substance that "melts" away in the water. It will turn the water to crap really fast. It's better to let your fish go without food than to give them a block that overfeeds and fouls the water.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feeding, over-fed