Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #1 
NCPanthersgurl

Angry Rant rant rant rant rant. -_-

A girl I know decided after reading about my attempts at breeding, she wanted to try her hand.

It already starts off bad, right? :/

So she got a male CT and what I want to say is a female VT and put them together. Immediately. In a bowl. 0.0

It gets worse.

She moves them to a ten gallon, fills it completely, puts in pretty glamor gravel, throws in a sculpture as big as my fist, and calls it a breeder tank.

Please note, nothing about a heater was mentioned in any of this. Someone told her to keep the tanks cool, and her response was "I know, I've had betta's before".

Moving on, she puts the male and female in the ten gallon. Female is stress striped, not at all eggy. Males building a bubble nest. Female has no where to hide. Her fins are torn already, dunno if it was from him or not. She's feeding flakes. Only flakes. I asked her, haven't yet received a response, if she had fry food prepared. Unlikely though, considering her hasty breeding setup.

Worse? I referred her to this website when she mentioned to me that she might breed. Said read up on it first, this isn't just a "throw two fish together and they make babies" ordeal. There's so much more to it. A week later I see the pics of her setups. -_-

/rant.

Input?
NCPanthersgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #2 
Larsa

uuhhhh.... wtc. first of all.... shes an idiot XD for not setting up cultures a month in advance or likely not even knowing what BBS or paramecium are. Second... conditioning is a foriegn or unknown word to her!? Same with sponge filter, heater, live plants, and then she when she does decide to add something she puts in gravel!??? And im guessing she didnt even consider the fact that bettas are aggressive and its likely that the male woulda hurt the female in a BOWL.... I dont even think she has the money to get a hosuing unit for each male and a growout tank for the fry at a few month. 0.o omg.... that child is dumb. I did research months in advance before I started breeding but I stopped and made a sorority instead with my breeding tank :) last off... FLAKES!!!!!??? NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO she needs to have her fish taken away...
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 
NCPanthersgurl

Ha, she's 28 with twins. Idk why she bit this responsibility off. I conditioned my male and female for two weeks, and in that two weeks I did all the reading and buying of supplies. Then they didn't work out so I reconditioned the female and conditioned a new male. 4 weeks, and even now I panic if any little thing seems wrong, or I can't find the babies even though I know they're hiding in the plants.

It was a goldfish bowl. One of the ones with flat sides.

Honestly, she could even just get a microworm culture; which takes 24 hours to go. I have one, it's awesome.

The way I see it, if you don't have the money for a proper setup, you don't have the money for all the fry when they're there. My boyfriend helps me when I need it, I think he's bought two of my 5 heaters. He bought my two ten gallons. But plants, food, chemicals, thermometers, substrate for the non breeding tanks, the non breeding tanks themselves, all of it, it's expensive. What will she do if she has 50 babies? You can't always house them together. You'll either overload the tank or have too much aggression.

I'm monitoring her facebook, where's she's putting the stuff, religiously. I wish she'd have read up first, seriously. This could not only cost her a spawn if there is one, but one or both of the parents.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #4 
NCPanthersgurl

Her response to me? "I've had betta's before, I know what I'm doing."

I said okay and let it be. People are stubborn about their pets. Sad though.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #5 
ForbiddenSecrets

That's rather depressing. :/ Some people really just need to not have pets at all. Sure with bettas some people make the mistake of housing them too small at first or other things from repeated bad information but when someone is trying to tell you the right thing to do with so much back up information its just down right ignorant.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 
NCPanthersgurl

I'm sad about it. The female in the pics is so clearly stress striped, clamped up...

When I asked about the heater she said she was getting a new one cause theirs broke. But she'd told someone right before me she knew she had to keep the tank cool. -_- She won't hear anything against what she believes to be true. So I guess there's really not much more I can do, except hope that if she has little ones, they live, and if not that the parents live. Since she believes males and females can always be housed together... 0.o

Female ^^

And honestly, she has pics of a red female and this one. So I'm not sure if ones already died or what.... :/ But this is in the ten gallon, so I'm assuming this is the one she's wanting to breed...
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #7 
BetterBetta

ajhJDAfhiuUJBDGSFTEHIWYTBGR*(@#*&#%bahsfbajksfne. Thaaaats how i feel about this chick -.- Sure I'd love to breed, I've done all my research but being smart I KNOW that I can't afford the cultures, grow out tanks, and I don't even have the time. So I'm being smart and not attempting, unlike this girl who thinks she can play by her own rules, but her rules can cost the poor bettas their lives ):
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #8 
NCPanthersgurl

I'm taking on a project. I'm going to make a blog, and make it as thorough as possible about Betta's. Feeding, general care, basic disease information, housing, breeding, all of it. That way, maybe, I can lessen some ignorance. >.<

In the meantime I mentioned my blog idea on my facebook and she went off saying it was about her/directed to her. I'm not doing this for her. I'm doing this because I was inspired by her ignorance. Because I want to make the information available on a more general basis; googling betta information turns up basically nothing. Oh well.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #9 
BetterBetta

Its amazing what can inspire us people; ignorance or brilliance xD Thats awesome that your doing that, bettas are probably the most mistreated house hold pet): Hopefully people will read it and pass on the knowledge:D My brother and my dad say that I "read too much" on bettas and say their fine in a bowl -__________- Once I told my dad my bettas needed heaters and he said "quit pampering them, they die easier that way. You gotta make them tough so they live long." Maybe thats why his seventy gallon tank (which I try to take care of) has such grumpy cichlids. It makes me upset to see he doesn't take care of them, I'm the one changing the water and carrying heavy buckets of water around (I'm 13, my back hurts cause of it D:) while he sits on the couch and watches Shark Week.

End rant (sorry):P
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #10 
NCPanthersgurl

Nah, ranting is okay, that's why it's the rant rant rant rant rant thread :P

There's a point of not knowing...and a point of having the information available and ignoring it. It's the latter that annoys me.