Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #1 
Amphibianite

Question A question of plants

Hello all, I am new here and setting up my very first tank. I have a question on live plants for the tank, I have read the plant guide on here and that has answered some of my questions, but here are the rest, well the few I remember waking up with haha.
Lucky Bamboo - I have always seen it with bettas before, and being I enjoy Asian influence in my decorating was thinking I would get some. Keeping the the leave out of the water of course. I mentioned this in another thread and was responded to that the person has heard they are not good for the setup and should probably be avoided. Is this true, if so why?
Water Lily - I was interested in using a small water lily as a floater to provide that extra coverage, look gorgeous, and still provide surface room for my little friend. Are they alright to use? Any other suggestion as what to use instead?

Any and all comments, questions, and answer will be appreciated.
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #2 
Arzela

Generally speaking, Lucky bamboo is okay if the leaves are kept out of the water. I'd just watch for any signs of rot and if so, take it out and stuff it in a glass or something to try and save it.

Water lilies are fine to use too, you can find some very nice ones with reddish pink colored leaves and such, and you can either let them grow to the surface as you would in a pond (They do take up a lot of surface space though!) or you can 'train' them to grow more compactly by trimming off any leaves that grow taller than you want.

How are you planning to light the tank, and do you plan on using any fertilizers at all? Your light status is going to ultimately end up deciding what plants will and won't work.
Arzela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #3 
Amphibianite

Lighting I will have natural light as well as a lamp with aquarium plant grow light.
I picked up at wallmart today two Dwarf Lilly-Hybrid Ulvaceus bulbs for 4 dollars. So I covered lighting, as for fertilizer from what I was reading the fish waste, plant rot(leaves etc) and excess food if any will work for fertilizer. If i need more I will buy some that is appropriate for the tank and will be fine for the Betta
Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #4 
PewPewPew

Unless you have a lot of plants, I would still siphon out the waste and dead plants from the bottom.

TBH, I would stick to true aquatics and not even mess around with the bamboo, for fear of it dying on you. If you're gonna do lilies, make sure that your tank is very large- your fish will want to be able to surface and breathe, and not have to contend with big lilies.

If you're going to do the bamboo, dont bother with fertilizers.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #5 
Amphibianite

Thanks for the advice Pewpewpew. The lily is a dwarf variant, if it gets too much to handle or I can't train it I have a 10 gal used for other fish I could transplant them too. I was hoping to be able to train them to either stay below the surface or cut back the pads.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #6 
PewPewPew

That might work. Good luck to you :)
Old 08-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #7 
Amphibianite

Thanks Pew, I will post pictures of the tank as it going ^_^. right now I just have my gravel and river rock decorations in there. I am still collecting supplies I need.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

I look forward to it :) Have you considered a narrow leaf java fern? Theyre thin and have many leaves. Almost like a grassy bush, but not hard to care for. Keep an eye out in stores for one :DD I love mine.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #9 
Amphibianite

Nice, I will take a look see if I can find them. I am on a serious budget haha but I want to give my little friend the best home I can. I made a rock bridge out of this long wide thing river rock and two piles of other rocks lol.

I have been reading both your plant guides to help guide me (HA), and they have been helping a lot. I wanted to wait on putting the water in my tank until I had gotten the filter and the heater set up. Do you think I should get water in there and get the bulbs started even if I wont be getting everything else for a few days?
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 AM   #10 
PewPewPew

I would start the bulbs in a separate space, just in case they mold (ew!), which they are known to do. If they mold, remove the mold and try again. They may not grow after molding, but they might :)

I hear you on the budget :( Plants are expensive. Look for a plant that covers a good amount of space and is inexpensive. Plants like anacharis come in bunches and are easy to grow with good light.

Consider, too, getting fake plants that look as real as you can manage them to be, that way the real plants will look bolstered and the fake will blend in :) Petco makes fake silk ones at a good price that look pretty real!