Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #1 
Spanky

Heater Snot?

I've been cycling my 10 gallon tank for about a month using blood-fin tetras and a shrimp (all doing well). I have some ceramic decorations and some plastic plants. I have a submerged heater, thermometer, and power filter rated for 5-15 gallons.

The suction cups for my heater are covered with a whitish snot looking stuff. The stuff isn't anywhere else in the tank.

Should I be concerned? Do I need to remove the heater and clean it? Should I get a snail to eat it? Thoughts?
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #2 
Comet1993

I think I know what you're talking about! When part of my aquarium equipment wasn't completely submerged, it developed that. :/ Maybe it's film building up on it or something. I'm not really too sure about that. I wiped it off, though, and it's nice and clean now. =] Plus, I fully submerged it and changed the position. I'm not really sure what's causing it, though. =/
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Probably proteins :)

Wipe it off. If it comes back again and again, consider getting new ones.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #4 
Spanky

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad it doesn't seem to be anything to freak out over. I'll see if it comes back. I don't want to fully submerge the heater as it's got the "water line" mark and says I'm not supposed to... :0)
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:21 AM   #5 
trilobite

I have this stuff too. Glad to know its nothing to worry about
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 
flowerslegacy

I got the same clear, whitish, snotty stuff too. Only on the suction cups of my heater. It was about 1/8" thick. My LFS told me it's a type of algae?? I tend to side with PewPewPew and I think it's proteins. I turned off the heater and slowly removed the suction cups to rinse them off. In the process, a little chunk fell into the water and my praecox rainbow ate some of it!! Crazy, hyper fish!! He's fine though and it's been over 4 weeks now since he ate it. My LFS said it's fine if it gets eaten. Yuck. Anyway, I rinsed them off and even found a little more on my filter intake. I've only had to rinse those items twice and it hasn't come back. I've only had it in my big tank with my praecox and gobies. I've never seen it in my betta tanks. It's gross.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #7 
Comet1993

My heater has developed it again, too. On the cord and suction cup. It looks so nasty. :/ I'm glad it's not dangerous.
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #8 
flowerslegacy

I agree - at least it's not dangerous . . . Last week I removed a little snot from one of my 10 gal betta tanks. It was only on the rubber suction cup from my thermometer. I wonder why it likes rubber? Yucko.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote