Eris Harmonia

Mildly concerned with brand-new betta

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? About 70 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes- came with the tank
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Not yet- planning to get a heater soon
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Currently, a trial-size packet of Aqueon betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Only fed him once so far, 3 pellets when I woke up

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Haven't had to yet, I only put him in last night
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Again, haven't had to yet
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Plus water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Haven't tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He nicked off a scale on his back yesterday in the net when I put him in, and has three little white specks on his head that appeared in the last 10 minutes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all, he seems very active and happy
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Nicked scale immediately afterwards, white specks just now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I had put some aquarium salt in when I first put him in- not a lot, just a minimal amount for potential stress. And I put a pinch more in when I noticed the hurt scale.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, I just got him and he looked perfectly healthy in the pet store cup
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea. Looks like he isn't quite fully grown, though.

I don't know if it's really anything to worry about- maybe the bridge I put in for him to swim under is a bit rough and he knocked off a couple more scales? I tried to make sure it was smooth enough, but I dunno. The fact that the three white specks seemed instantaneous bothers me a bit. Also, the spot where he accidentally took off a scale doesn't look infected or anything. Any advice? Should I maybe not worry so much? He's my very first betta, I'm just a tad paranoid because my friend's first betta died of velvet disease within a month or two.
Eris Harmonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #2 
smellsfishie

Can you post a pic? The white dots cold possibly be ich, or small bubbles of air from the new water, but hard to tell without a pic. Also, when you add salt, you should add it to a cup of tank water, swish it around until it dissolves, and then put it it. It's advised not to sprinkle it directly into the tank. Not really sure why, but that is what I have read.
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #3 
Eris Harmonia

Unfortunately, I can't get a clear enough pic- the only camera I know how to use that isn't a film camera won't zoom properly on my fish. The white specks look like three individual scales have turned white, not like anything sitting on top of the scales, and not indented like the missing scale on his back.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #4 
smellsfishie

hm.... Does it look like pic #1 sortof-ish or anything else on this page:
http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #5 
Eris Harmonia

Nope, not like anything there. Doesn't look like the picture of ich, which is relieving.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #6 
Eris Harmonia

Dunno how you guys are about double-posting, but I have more relevant info.

He keeps trying to swim through the tank walls, I've noticed, when he does this he slides along the surface, so is it possible that he just rubbed a couple of scales off?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #7 
Eris Harmonia

...Okay, yeah, he got a few more white spots that look MUCH more like the photos of ich. Put him in a 1 gallon quarantine tank with warm water and a treatment dosage of AQ salt, preparing to make a trip to the store for a tank heater and then clean everything that's currently in his 2.5 gallon.

Am I doing this right?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #8 
brownmane

If it is Ich, bring the tank temperature up to 80F or a bit warmer. Your betta will like the warm water and warm water tends to help get rid of the Ich. Also, if your betta's colour changes after you have warmed the water,ie changes from pale colour to darker colour, don't be alarmed. Bettas like their water warm and 70F is quite low for them.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 PM   #9 
Eris Harmonia

I just went and bought a tank heater, he's now in 80-ish water in about a gallon with aquarium salt, and I'm going to change the water again tomorrow. He's still perky, I made him a new quarantine hide and he likes it, but he's also still got white flecks.

I wish I could change the topic title, I'm more than just mildly concerned now that I'm pretty sure he has Ich.

Last edited by Eris Harmonia; 08-07-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #10 
brownmane

Don't worry about your title. The site allows those of us who have posted to follow you whenever anything has been added. And it's been added to the forum concerning fish diseases. I'm sure that others will also join in to contribute.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote