Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #1 
myfishnamedthelonius

Female Betta

i was wondering if it would be a good idea to mix a female and male betta in a 5 gallon tank. i don't really care about breeding them, it's just that he seems kind of lonely in the tank by himself. i have my betta mixed with a mystery snail and 3 ghost shrimp, but it's not really the same as having a couple of fish to look at.
myfishnamedthelonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It is not a good idea to mix male and female Bettas in the same tank-you would most likely end up with two badly injured or dead fish...especially a 5gal...sadly that is not even big enough for any other species of fish along with the Betta....the shrimp and snails are the limit...adding some live plants could add some interest.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfishnamedthelonius View Post
i was wondering if it would be a good idea to mix a female and male betta in a 5 gallon tank. i don't really care about breeding them, it's just that he seems kind of lonely in the tank by himself. i have my betta mixed with a mystery snail and 3 ghost shrimp, but it's not really the same as having a couple of fish to look at.
It is DEF. not a god idea, you should never put a male and female together unless you plan to breed them... and that is expensive and time consuming (and pricey)
If you want a tank with a couple fish you could get a 10 gallon (nothing smaller), get a filter, heater, light, the whole set up, and have some tetras or danios ad put your male in there, a 5 gallon is not big enough for that though
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #4 
BetterBetta

Only put a male and a female together if you're breeding, I'm sorry to say, they will hurt each other, and do bad damage, let alone in a 5 gallon): If you upgrade to a ten gallon, you could get some tetras or platies or something! That way he'd have fish(:
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM   #5 
myfishnamedthelonius

thanks for the advice guys, that would've been dreadful. i added some real plants and a moss ball, it makes the tank way more interesting.
myfishnamedthelonius is offline   Reply With Quote