Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #1 
crezelda

mold from fish-free cycling help

posted in another section http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=77066

but i'm getting good ammonia readings from straining crushed flake food thru a tea bag, but now ive got a cute little carpet of mold on the bottom... will a vacuum and a 75% WC be okay right before i put my fish in, or do i have to buy antifungals now too? im setting the heater up higher as i read the mold likes cooler water, so im hoping ill stress it out a little.
crezelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

The bad bacteria that is being colonized from the high heat and fish food would be more of a problem in the long term than any mold......

Vacuum may or may not help...it will help to remove the visual mold and debris......good luck......

What kind of test products are you using and what are the readings for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH....how big is the tank, type of filter, additives used, how deep is the substrate, how many days have you been fishless cycling, any live plants and stocking plans.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #3 
crezelda

im using the 2 part API for the ammonia, and test strips for the rest. not a whole lot of gravel right now, but did some seeding with a cup of aged gravel in with the mix ( think was a 5lb bag..not a whole lot, im planning on adding some river stones once i get off my butt to go gather some and boil em)
tank is 20g, filter is elete hush 35, been cycling for a week now, and a coupple clumps of java fern

i just really hope i didnt just make all of my tank uninhabitable....i acidentally started the mold bloom by adding sinking pellets instead of finely ground food.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

First...Don't boil or bake the rocks....some will explode.....

What is your finial stocking plan.....

Since you have access to established/cycled tank...can you get some filter media or place the sponge pad from the 20gal to the established tanks filter box for a week-10 days and get it seeded....nearly a cycled tank that can be stocked with a few fish right away....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #5 
crezelda

final stocking plan is my CT 6 pepper cories, some ottos, and im debating cherry barbs or neon tetras. also gonna have a few more plants in it
Old 08-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #6 
crezelda

the mold is slowly and slowly dissapearing, i will be going away for 2 weeks in a week, and although i probably will starve the good bacteria, im hoping this will also starve the mold too.
or should i just empty everything and let dry for 2 weeks to kill the mold?