Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #1 
flyingeagle12

Unhappy Our betta boy turned orange. Can he still be saved? Please help!

Hello there,

I've been told to take care of our betta fish by my mom and if he dies she won't be happy when she's back. Something is up with him and I don't know what it is. He's been sitting at the bottom of his tank for the past few days (very inactive) and only goes up for air. It looks like he's gulping/gasping for air too.

He lost his appetite. 2 days ago I did a 50% water change and I noticed that his color is orange-brownish/rust - I've never seen anything like it before! The fish is basically half orange, he was always bright blue just a week ago. It's freaking me out.

What could be wrong with him? Bacterial infection, fungus or something? Inflamed gills or velvet? Ammonia poisoning/gills burns?? I did use a flashlight and took some pictures you can see below. I added aquarium salt and some betta fix drops to see if it helps. He was as healthy as a horse about a week ago.

He's about 7 months old and the only problem he had once was a swim bladder disorder which I got him cured by feeding him peas. I don't know what my water parameters are. The food he usually gets are blood worms (twice a week), BettaMin and BettaBites (pellets) - twice a day. But I haven't fed him for the past few days due to him being sick - I think making him fast might help a little bit. Also, it's about a 2-gallon tank (My mother and dad bought it) with no filter or heater (no thanks goes to the PetStore guys who told my parents bettas don't need anything!!). So his tank is pretty much primitive. He's on his own in there.

And like I said, my mom got really used to him and he's pretty much the only thing that calms her down and makes her happy. I hate to lose Bubbles (<--that's his given name because he loved to nest bubbles in his tank) to some parasite/infection. She'll be upset but all I know is I did my best!

Last edited by flyingeagle12; 08-10-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Images too big
flyingeagle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

I'm not able to stay on and chat about this but get him into clean new treated water with 1tsp of aquarium salt per gallon. Do not use Bettafix, can damage a Betta's labrynth organ.

Mix 1g of treated water with 1tsp of AQ salt in a container, put about 3in of this mix in a small clean container and put him in. Change his water 100% daily, adding the mix from the 1g container. Do this for up to 10days. It seems to me he may have an ammonia issue. How big is the tank he's in??

The reason we do this is so it's easier to add the salted water, and he has less to travel to get to the suface for air.

Someone else... please get in here and help this boy before it's too late. I gotta go, I'm heading home from my mother in laws!

OK I see it's about a 2g tank, what's your water changing routine?? I have 1.5g tanks here. I do 100% every 2 days. My personal rule of thumb is 1g=1day. So 1.5g or 2g are changed 100% every 2 days here.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 08-10-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 
flyingeagle12

I don't know how big his tank is so I took a picture:

We do water changes once a week on Sundays - 30% to 50%. We've been doing so for months and he's been fine.

I'll follow your advice; hopefully, I can still save him!!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #4 
CoverMeInClay

By the looks off it the tank looks like about what you had said, 2 gallons. I don't have a 2 gallon, but I always see people say they do one 50% and one 100% change on tanks about 2.5 gallons. I'd start changing his water more frequently and do as PitLuv said. Get him into a container with less water depth so he can easily get to the surface for air. Change his water daily with the salt water sulution, aquarium salt is what you want to use. The consistantly fresh water should help him.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #5 
flyingeagle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverMeInClay View Post
Get him into a container with less water depth so he can easily get to the surface for air.
Thanks for the reply! They do help a lot because I'm no betta fish expert by no means.

I don't really have anything to put him in. Will a bowl do? (we use it to temporary put him in there when changing water)
Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM   #6 
Comet1993

Is it just the camera, or is the water usually cloudy?
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #7 
CoverMeInClay

You can use a good size piece of tupperware as long as it is clean, no burnt on gunk or anything like that. Wash it out with hot water.
CoverMeInClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

A bowl or a deep tupperware should do just fine. Change all of the water in his tank and add dechlorinator before you put him back in.

1tsp/gallon premixed aquarium salt in the tupperware while he's in there. I don't suggest the salt with what looks like a marimo mossball. I've heard they don't do well with salt. You could also clean out the mossball with some clean water by gently squeezing it to get rid of anything it's absorbed.

Up his water changes to 1 50% and 1 100% per week in the future. This should help to get rid of any dangerous ammonia levels.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #9 
LittleBettas

I agree with Comet, the water looks kind of cloudy, are you using a water conditionor?
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #10 
flyingeagle12

The water isn't cloudy - it's the tank. The surface is scratched pretty heavily due to me washing it with sponge.

I use water conditioner "AquaSafe" every time I do weekly water changes. 7-9 drops.