Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Oh my. Again?

Ratchet has once again taken up the past time of tail biting. His fins were healing nicely and he had just starting making bubble nests again too.

This time he's bitten a nice hole in the middle of his top fin and shredded his caudal fin once again. I'll try to get some pics in a little bit when he's out of his salt bath.

Why oh why ratchet must you keep making me feel like an inadequate mommy? :/

I don't even know why he started again. He's got toys, his water is clean, he can flare or get away from his neighbor, has yummy foods, and his tank gets changed around every other week. I'm starting to think more and more than he just needs to be a singular betta. Might have to move Mirage out of his tank and switch him with Ratchet.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Here are the best pictures I could get without flaring him. Don't want him to rip any more of his finnage.

Name:  013 (7).jpg
Views: 76
Size:  35.7 KB
Name:  005 (8).jpg
Views: 77
Size:  40.3 KB

On a side note, I know there have been some people on here looking for photos for a compilation of problems and diseases with bettas, so if anyone wants to use these pics, feel free. A heads up would be nice, but not necessary.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

I moved ratchet to the 1.5 gallon that Mirage was in. Hopefully he'll stop taking his aggressions out on himself now that he can't see any other bettas.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #4 
Loralyn94

I'm having the same problem with my guy, Ryu (minus the fact that its just him alone in a tank). I feel so bad that he's doing it, I feel that its my fault.

Its like they do these things to punish us for something, but glad i'm not alone in my struggle.
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

i'm really hoping that he'll let his tail heal all the way before he does it next time. He's got basically half a tail left. I think it's because he's lazy and has to work harder with all the webbing between his rays. He didn't do that until his fins were pretty long. that and the fact that he was within sight range of another male betta.

Now he's on the other side of the room away from all of them. hopefully that'll convince him to stop for a little bit more than a month.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #6 
Loralyn94

Hopefully that works, your guys beautiful, I love CT's and black bettas. :)
I'm not completely sure why my guys doing it. He's the only fish in a 10 gallon tank with three "caves", i took his tetra friends out because he's getting treated with salt for fin rot and I wasnt sure how they'd do with it. He hates his QT tank so I felt sorrow and put him in the 10g. It frustrates me to know end that he does this.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #7 
Pataflafla

Hm. Maybe boredom? You could try toys for him. I'm using bottle caps, a button tied to some thread, and a mirror. Apparently it isn't enough for Ratchet, but it keeps my other boys more than content.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #8 
Loralyn94

The side walls of his tank are fairly reflective, enough that he see's himself and flares at this "other fish" and chases it. When i actually tried using a mirror he completely ignored it and instead swam to where i feed him as if he thought it was food time.
As for the bottle caps, hes pretty much ignored them as well. I do plan to grab some ping pong balls next time im at the store and try those, as for now he is just very disinterested in any attempt i make to entertain him.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

I have no idea then.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #10 
Loralyn94

Neither do I.

This must be the great secret of bettas, why they tail bite regardless of what we do for them. >_<