Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #1 
Luimeril

help my friend's fish!

so, i have a friend, who loves bettas as much as we do. x: she has alot, and many different tail types and colors. each betta has at least a gallon to his or herself, and gets water changes twice a week. she lives in Texas, so heaters aren't really needed right now.

one of her newer ones, though, has been causing some issues. he has what sounds like Swim bladder issues. she says that, during the day, he floats up top and can't get down. at night, however, he sinks and has trouble getting to the top. when she first came to me, i suggested fasting him, to make sure he's pooing fine. she fasted him for a few days, and he pooed fine, but is still floating and sinking.

the only thing i know to do for SBD, is fasting. she tried that, though, and it didn't work. what else can she do, to help her little guy out?

all her other bettas are healthy. the HMs, Deltas, and her Feathertail have tail issues, but that's to be expected from those tail types, imo. other than that, she takes really good care of her bettas, so they're all pretty healthy, except that one. x:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 
EverythingNice55

Hmm, maybe she should feed that little guy less food to make him lighter, and maybe putting him in a shorter tank so he can swim up and down easier. From the description, it sounds like a tall tank, which would be hard to swim up and down. I'm so sorry to hear about this, and I know I didn't help much, and I'm sorry for that... My prayers go to that little betta.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Epsom salt. She may need to QT him, start with 1 tsp per gallon for five days with daily water changes. If he hasn't shown any improvement, up the dosage to 2 or 3 tsps for another five days. As long as he isn't bloated. Does he eat when he's not being fasted?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #4 
Luimeril

sorry for not answering sooner. >.>;

from the way it sounded, he does eat normally, and i don't know if he's bloated, i'll have to ask. she said he acts fine as long as she's there, but just floats up top, or sinks to the bottom, when she's not there.

i just checked out the pic on her facebook, and he looks not bloated at all. it baffles me. i'll have to ask her, next time i talk to her, if he looks bloated at all.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Epsom salt, definitely. 1 tsp per gallon. Is she sure it's SBD or is it a behavior thing to get more attention? I dunno, it sounds like he can control his swim bladder pretty well if he can float up or sink. Bettas with SBD can only do one or the other usually.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #6 
Luimeril

she's got some interesting fish(like the HM who mopes without his plastic plant. she knows it's a bad thing, but he literally will get depressed without that one specific plant!), so it could very well be him begging for attention. o.0
Old 08-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Her fish sound like absolute characters. I would say her guy is asking for attention. True SBD is pretty easy to spot. A fish with true SBD literally can't swim in one direction, either up or down, without loads and loads of effort. Or they can't swim upright. Since her fish can go to both bottom or top, I tend to think he is just hamming it up. But a few days in epsom salt won't hurt him in case he is constipated.